Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iced Brush Hollow for the first time ever today. Ice was mediocre at best: 3.5 inches, cloudy, and soft. There's a big open patch near the inlet. A buddy and I fished near the SW corner in water 10-26 feet. I didn't get to move around as much as I'd like, nor get out as deep as I'd like. No bites, no fish. Marked a few right on the bottom that just wanted to look. This weekend is going to be really tough on that ice, considering how poor it was today after such a gnarly cold spell.

·
Registered
44 Posts
In the summer, I used to have really good luck straight out from the boat ramp, about the middle of the lake. Tube jigs and green/orange Mr. Twisters would land some really nice crappy and bluegill. Down by the dam theres that rocky cliff, I've had luck with perch there. Never found any walleye :-[

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Thanks for the update..I was thinking about trying there, but I'll defiantly hold off now. Its a great lake though!

D.J.

·
Registered
410 Posts
djfisherman2 said:
Thanks for the update..I was thinking about trying there, but I'll defiantly hold off now. Its a great lake though!

D.J.
I have to agree. I have pulled some big catties and bass from that lake ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I went to Brush Hollow this morning and ice was really sketchy. The ice was anywhere from 2-3.5" at the most where i went over by the boat ramp with lots of thin ice to no ice. I really wanted to try my luck since i have never been there, but since i was the only person on the entire lake, i decided not to take any more chances on that ice to get to deeper water. I didn't go out to the middle, but the ice fluctuated in thickness as i went further from shore so i didn't feel comfortable moving around too much. Does that lake ever have safe ice? I really want to fish it since i moved to S Co Springs, its only 25 minutes from my house. Thought about casting into open water holes from the ice but decided it was probably better to call it off and went to Antero. Got there late and caught a small bow in first 5 minutes of setting up and not another bite for the next 3 hours. Fish 2- Me 0 today. No complaints here though, it was still a great day.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Trout Taco said:
I went to Brush Hollow this morning and ice was really sketchy. The ice was anywhere from 2-3.5" at the most where i went over by the boat ramp with lots of thin ice to no ice. I really wanted to try my luck since i have never been there, but since i was the only person on the entire lake, i decided not to take any more chances on that ice to get to deeper water. I didn't go out to the middle, but the ice fluctuated in thickness as i went further from shore so i didn't feel comfortable moving around too much. Does that lake ever have safe ice? I really want to fish it since i moved to S Co Springs, its only 25 minutes from my house. Thought about casting into open water holes from the ice but decided it was probably better to call it off and went to Antero. Got there late and caught a small bow in first 5 minutes of setting up and not another bite for the next 3 hours. Fish 2- Me 0 today. No complaints here though, it was still a great day.
Whoa man..be careful out there! But yes, it does freeze safe. Just this year has been wicked funky when it comes to ice conditions. I iced it once last year, it was pretty slow, but managed like five or six fish (I don't remember how many?). Congrats on the fish though...beats the skunk.

D.J.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I iced Brush Hollow 5 years ago. There was 2 inches of ice, 2 inches of slush, and then 2 more inches of ice. Pretty scary stuff.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was really surprised at how poor the ice was, considering how cold it had been. I love that place in the spring/summer in the canoe!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts