Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished the Hollow today from 5-8, caught a bunch of bluegill, which seems to be my fortay these days. My dad caught about 5-10 crappie, i got a couple, also 2 bass, and a trout between us. The bass was on a top water and the crappies and bluegill on a jig and bubble. The action was pretty much non-stop, and we probably could have caught 50 crappie and countless bluegills if we wanted. All in all a great afternoon out on the lake. Everything has grown so big since I last fished it over a year ago. I wish I lived a little closer and I'd be at this lake alot more.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Man I'm in Canon City today, I'm making the decission to fly fish the Ark and not go to Brush Hollow. I hope I do good just waiting for 5am to roll around to get the Father-in-law and the kid up. Good job!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Nice report. Which part of the lake were you catching the blugill and crappie. I have found crappie on the north west end by the submerged timber and bluegill by the shore straight across from the boat ramp.

JC

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry this is so late jerry, but we caught them on the north east end around the submerged willows, and cover. The bluegill and crappie where together, and no single area seemed to have just one of the other, it seemed like every 3 bluegills would bring 1 crappie. I noticed the fish were hanging real close to cover, and lost about 10 bucks worth of lures and jigs. Fun stuff though

·
Registered
15 Posts
Were you fishing with a bobber or straightlining it off the boat? How about the size of the Crappie? I didn't have any luck straightlining it the last time I was there. Glad you did well

·
Registered
405 Posts
Rob,

Any size to the crappie's (would they fall into the John Martin or Kansas Reservoirs slabber size)?

Pete

·
Registered
15 Posts
Pete, 8in tube jig said the biggest he'd ever caught in there is 11in. He suspected the fact that they have been drawing it down in past years has affected their size. Maybe just less habitat when the water is drawn down. I know that has affected Nee Noshe, even though there are some nice Crappie left in there despite the lack of water.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No Slabbers, but definately pan sized, with most falling in the 9-12in range, but all fat and healthy. They are bigger than i've ever caught out of pueblo res., which for the size of brush hollow i think is impressive. They were mostly caught with a bubble and jig. My dad laughed when I asked if that was the biggest he'd caught, (he's from Ok) He also was saying something about the government wanting to maybe make brush hollow a much bigger storer of water, which would be nice, because it seems like it about goes dry every year.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ive caught them all from shore, but a boat would definately help because of all the cover close to shore

1 - 10 of 10 Posts