Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Woke up and decided I wanted to go to Brush Hollow and test it out as I've been dying to catch something besides trout for a while now. Got there around 12:30ish lots of people there fished the north east side of the lake where all the downed trees and flooded vegation was. Snag central, good thing I had my waders in the jeep needed to get a few snags out. I got my son's pole out and ready and he called me over to this little cove and said look at all those fish. When I got there, there were probably 20 blue gill stacked up ontop of each other. So I rigged up his pole with a bobber and a hook showed him how much worm to put on and before I got back to the jeep to get my pole he had one. I showed him how to take them off so he dont get stung. Then went to get my pole and 2 maybe 3 steps he had another one. Made him take it off he did good, then he was like watch. Casted back out and about 5 secs later had another one this one stung him so I had to talk him into taking them off, or he couldnt catch them anymore. Finally got my pole and was looking at some downed logs I wanted to hit for bass but the kid talked me into coming over by him and fishing. So I went and caught about 30 or 40 bluegill with him then slowly crept my way over to the logs I wanted to hit. Caught 1 black crappie about 13 inches and 1 small bass before I was summend back to help get "the big one" un snagged, as a nice 10 incher got his line around some tree limbs in the water. So I stayed over there to help him finish off the worms that had been in the fridge for about 3 weeks. All in all my first 100 bluegill of the year(caught almost every cast some before the bobber even hit the water), 1 my first crappie of the year, and my first bass (even though he was a small one) of the year.
Caught the crappie and the bass on a yellow jig, Cody (the kid) caught a bunch on worms, jigs, spoons, kastmasters, spinners. Just about everything he threw at them. Worms by far were the best way to go the bigger ones took the jigs.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to add the cove I was fishing was 3-6 ft deep water temp 62 degrees. The gills werent spectacular like TFB's. But we had a couple in the 10 inch range and alot between 8-9 inches and a crap load in the 4-7 inch range. Just fun times.

·
Registered
15 Posts
ePiC,
Did you see anyone else catch Crappie from a boat or on shore? Sounds like the Bluegills were plentiful and some decent size. Perfect for your son to get hooked on fishing.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Sometimes its fun to catch little bluegill, its also fun to see what they will hit and have a contest on what you can catch them on. Once I caught a little bluegill using a bent swivel as a hook and a leaf for bait...lol. Definitely will help hook your kid for life, and if you are willing to take the time to filet them a nice dinner too.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TroutFishingBear said:
Sometimes its fun to catch little bluegill, its also fun to see what they will hit and have a contest on what you can catch them on. Once I caught a little bluegill using a bent swivel as a hook and a leaf for bait...lol. Definitely will help hook your kid for life, and if you are willing to take the time to filet them a nice dinner too.
When we first got there the bluegills were striking the swivel on his line and not the worm, so I switched him to gold hooks and we were on fire.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
fishit said:
ePiC,
Did you see anyone else catch Crappie from a boat or on shore? Sounds like the Bluegills were plentiful and some decent size. Perfect for your son to get hooked on fishing.
No the cove I was in didnt have many around the shore, every once in a while I'd hear a little girl sqeel like she got one. The boats that came by I didnt see them land anything, but we were catching alot so not much time to watch other people. I think the majority of the boats got to close to the cover they were fishing, personal prefrence I guess but they seemed to be getting almost right ontop of where they were casting.

Might I add black crappies are alot uglier the the white crappies I'm use to catching in Nebraska and the Carolinas.

·
Registered
841 Posts
ePIC,

How far is Brush Hollow from Denver? I usually fish at John Martin for crappie but got skunked last year and probably again this year since it is already mid May and nothing so far. Would like to try new lake for them if it is not too far. Thanks

lovetofish

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lovetofish said:
ePIC,

How far is Brush Hollow from Denver? I usually fish at John Martin for crappie but got skunked last year and probably again this year since it is already mid May and nothing so far. Would like to try new lake for them if it is not too far. Thanks

lovetofish
Brush hollow is in Penrose, off 115 between Canon City and Colorado Springs. So it would be a ways to go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts