Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Saturday we arrived at Brush Hollow around 1:30 P.M. The sky was overcast and the ambient air temperature was around 75 F. We were fishing about 30 yards north of the southwest corner of the lake. Starting out with fathead minnows and nightcrawlers, we caught a few stocker rainbows using a slip bobber and casting out 30 feet from the shoreline. Then my buddy made a horrible cast that made it a whole 10 feet from the shorline and I started laughing of course--My laughter stopped abruptly when I saw his pole nearly bent in half only a few seconds after the bait hit the water. It was a beautiful 15 inch largemouth-Probably in the 3 lb range. We then altered our casting distance appropriately and let the chaos ensue. Altogether we caught 8 bass, most of which ranged from 8-10 inches, 6 stocker rainbows, 1 nice perch, and 1 dandy 12.5 inch crappie. The crappie was caught on a rainbow trout patterned panther martin spinner. The best fishing time was between 3 PM-4:30 PM. I only wish we had a camera so we could show you the pics. The fishing slowed down after the wind kicked up around 6 PM, but it was one of the best days of fishing I've ever had. We are adamant Catch-&-Release fishermen only, so those big boys are still in there for the next guy to catch.
Everyone keeps asking me where you can buy minnows near Pueblo. The one shop I knew of went out of business, but I've heard you can buy them at the North Shore Marina at the Pueblo Res. I just catch my own out of Greenhorn creek using cylindrical minnow traps baited with a couple of slices of white bread. Good Luck.

·
Registered
937 Posts
They also have them at at The south shore marina.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was one of those fish where it looked like the vertiical growth ceased but the girth growth just kept going. He was shaped like a football and fought like a bull.!

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
minows can ussually be had right on hwy 50 just east of penrose look for the sign in front of the guys house on the south side of the hwy good place to stop on your way to the hollow or if comming down 115 from the sprins to pueblo also the pet shop on main in "down town" canon city carrys shinners during the fishing season

·
Registered
391 Posts
Is that Greenhorn creek in Colorado City/Rye?I went to school in Rye for a couple of years.

lyn

·
Registered
95 Posts
there another place in penrose now. i think it is off of broadway, not sure, saw a sign at the convience store on 50 next to the rv park (flyods).

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Fishinwithlund said:
The guy along hwy 50 no longer sells minnows or anyother bait..closed up shop..
did he close up permenent like or just for the winter, i noticed he ussually didnt get his sign out till the season was well under way?

if he's gone that sucks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is the creek I'm talking about. There are high concentrations of minnows in the section of creek from Greenhorn Park to the Valley Market. Drive behind the True Value store until you cross the creek and throw your traps in the water in the early morning. Come back in the early eving and you'll have 4 dozen minnows in each trap.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Grabes said:
That is the creek I'm talking about. There are high concentrations of minnows in the section of creek from Greenhorn Park to the Valley Market. Drive behind the True Value store until you cross the creek and throw your traps in the water in the early morning. Come back in the early eving and you'll have 4 dozen minnows in each trap.
it is my understanding of the regs, that if you catch live minows that you may only use them in the water that you caught them in. other wise you are breaking the rule about transporting live fish from one body of water to another

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think that refers to game fish. I do know that there are only certain species of minnows that you can use though and if I'm not mistaken they must be taken from a moving water source, ie not a lake.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
in the regs that forbid transporting live fish they do not distinguish bait fish from game fish. id hate to see one of you get busted with out knowing

no where in the regs does it say you can catch live baitfish and transport them to another body of water

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm going to get clarification on this from the local game warden and I'll post his response vebatim. I certainly hate to think I have been breaking the law--I have always prided myself on being an ethidcal hunter and fisherrman.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Grabes said:
I'm going to get clarification on this from the local game warden and I'll post his response vebatim. I certainly hate to think I have been breaking the law--I have always prided myself on being an ethidcal hunter and fisherrman.
I'd like to know this as well, the way you are reading it roadkill means you cant even transport minnows from the store to use as bait.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
ePiC said:
Grabes said:
I'd like to know this as well, the way you are reading it roadkill means you cant even transport minnows from the store to use as bait.
minnows are a commercialy purchased bait you are transporting them from a store to a lake not lake to lake. the stores are only alowwed to sell certain types of baitfish for that reason when people catch there own they could be catching an invasive type and or baitfish infected with the next nasty and then infect other waters

on the lines of reg, the booklets we can get are not the full regs but a condensed version. does anyone know of a source preferably online for the full code?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts