Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished 0745-1100, 23 May 05. Water is high and clear. Started off fishing for walleye by draging worms around behind my bellyboat. Caught a small bluegill right away. Nothing but a few questionable hits for the next 2 hours. Saw some submerged trees near by I had not seen anybody fish, so I gave them a try, 2nd cast caught a 13 in largemouth off the walleye rig. Had to pee so started to head for the boat ramp. Got more action on the way there ended up catching 2 rainbows 12-13 ins before action slowed downed again. My fishing buddy, fishing shallow, called me over to look at some of the bluegill action he was having (he was just north of the boat ramp 5-6 ft of water). They were all over the place and they would follow you round, I had a school of 25-30 fish follow me all around for about 20 min (they did not give up...I did..still had to pee). We caught several bluegill and small largemouth in 10min some on bare hooks. Seems like it would be lot of fun for my 6yo boy...

fish4fish
(AKA swmill)

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
"feed me, feed me, swmill feed me." cry the bluegill. I still want to get down there maybe tomorrow depending on what time I wake up. I must target some bass and maybe hit a couple crappie too.
All in all sounds like a fun day fishing for ya.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
fish4fish-I'm pretty sure I saw you, even talked to you. I was just north of the boat ramp in my green pontoon boat-you came and fished with me for about 1/2 hour then I headed over to the other side of the lake. Was that you? Your buddy fishing shallow was throwing a pearl senko type bait-right? Anyway, hi if that was you. Ed

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ed,

Sorry, that was not me. I spent most of the time fishing deeper water near the west side of the lake hunting walleye. I don't recall seeing a pontoon boat. Guess our paths did not cross. I did get the chance to talk to someone in a pontoon boat about 2 years ago who gave me some good advise on how and were to catch the walleye...

·
Registered
247 Posts
My dad, bro, and I were out there yesterday in our canoe. Caught about 40-50 blugill and each one of us caught a largemouth about 8-10 inches long. I think there are way, way, ... to many bluegill here. We fished everywhere from the boatramp, all the way up the north shoreline, around the north end and came back around the other side. All we saw were bluegill everywhere, seems like it needs a blugill predetor in there. They were all about 5-6 inches long. Didnt catch a single crappie, i was dissapointed we couldnt find them. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
jeremycallahan said:
My dad, bro, and I were out there yesterday in our canoe.  Caught about 40-50 blugill and each one of us caught a largemouth about 8-10 inches long.  I think there are way, way, ... to many bluegill here.  We fished everywhere from the boatramp, all the way up the north shoreline, around the north end and came back around the other side.  All we saw were bluegill everywhere, seems like it needs a blugill predetor in there.  They were all about 5-6 inches long.  Didnt catch a single crappie, i was dissapointed we couldnt find them.  Anyone have any ideas? 
What were you using as bait?

·
Registered
247 Posts
We were using live minnows under a slip bobber for a while and nothing was bitting. We varied the depths, moved around, nothing. We switched over to worms, about an inch of a crawler so we could catch the bluegill.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
jeremycallahan said:
We were using live minnows under a slip bobber for a while and nothing was bitting.  We varied the depths, moved around, nothing.  We switched over to worms, about an inch of a crawler so we could catch the bluegill.
Them blue gill will tear up your worms. When fishing for crappie and I cant get any to bite on minnows I will switch to 1 of 3 different lures. A curly tail jig, color depends on water color. A small red and white tube jig. And lastly a beatle spin which will usually catch them when nothing else will, and usually land a few bass to.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts