Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the day off from work today to take advantage of the low water levels at brush hollow. There is sooooo much structure in that lake. It seems like a million christmas trees cemented in old tires are everywhere.

I found a semi dry place to launch the canoe on the west side.

caught 4 cats between 16 -18 inches long. They were my first ever. Kind of scared me cause i wasnt sure what to do, didnt want to get stung, so i popped the hook out with my plyers.

The bass were chasing bait fish all around me. It was neat to see the surface boil then all these little fish jumping out of the water followed by a big open mouth. Caught about 20 largemouths all about 12-15 inches. Also caught a white crappie and 3 trout (~ 12, 14, and 18 inches). I let everything go. Oh, and cant forget the 3 inch perch.

It was a nice day, i am looking forward to spring and crappie fishing with my new structure map.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
jeremycallahan said:
I took the day off from work today to take advantage of the low water levels at brush hollow. There is sooooo much structure in that lake. It seems like a million christmas trees cemented in old tires are everywhere.

I found a semi dry place to launch the canoe on the west side.

caught 4 cats between 16 -18 inches long. They were my first ever. Kind of scared me cause i wasnt sure what to do, didnt want to get stung, so i popped the hook out with my plyers.

The bass were chasing bait fish all around me. It was neat to see the surface boil then all these little fish jumping out of the water followed by a big open mouth. Caught about 20 largemouths all about 12-15 inches. Also caught a white crappie and 3 trout (~ 12, 14, and 18 inches). I let everything go. Oh, and cant forget the 3 inch perch.

It was a nice day, i am looking forward to spring and crappie fishing with my new structure map.
did you see the big pile of tires? and all the channels at the north end? when that area gets under water it should be cool

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Looking at the weather reports, the wind must have been a issue.
I have done alot of fishing trips by canoe.
Did you anchor and fish or do you have a motor?

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
What were you using for bait? Sounds like a good day out there.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The wind didnt blow at all, it was very nice. I was prepared for one heck of a windy day, but glad it didnt blow. I knew about most of the clumps of trees, but didnt know about all the "single" trees standing in certain spots. I also found piles of tires, large boulders, creek channels, humps, steep drop offs... Earlier this year, i caught some crappie and bass off the tree piles in the north west end. I didnt realize there were at least 4 piles up there, i only saw two this spring.

For the cats i caught them with night crawlers under a slip float. I also caught a bass that way too.

Caught some bass and a few bluegill with a 1.5 inch blue and white twister tiail.

Then i swithced over to a pearl gulp minow and caught more bass, two of the three trout, the crappie, and another gill on that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts