Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing Walking Eagle's "What Would Buck Perry do?" signature hundred of times I finally Googled to find what's up with that. Turns out Mr. Perry just passed away at age 91 and was considered by many as the father of modern fishing. His explanation that fish live in deep water and only occasionally move shallow following key structure was enlightening to this CO rookie and will change my approach to reservoirs & lakes.

No wonder you guys got boats!

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
fatfish said:
Its his screen name to attract all tha ladies! :eek:
So far it hasn't worked, with one now-infamous exception. :)

Buck Perry invented the concept of structure, and structure fishing. Hard to believe, but before he elucidated the ideas involved, those words were never heard of by fishermen. I don't know if he is in the IGFA Hall of Fame, but he should be.

W. E.

·
Registered
438 Posts
The first time I every went fishing, my uncle Pete told me to fish next to the dead trees because the fish hold there. Didn't call em "structure", just dead trees. I saw him catch a 12 pound bass from an undercut creek bank not more than three feet wide. Said the fish like gettin up under that kinda place. The only time he ever wore anything other than overalls was on Sunday. Never posted online or wrote an article in a magazine. Just liked fishin by dead trees.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
There's a difference between "cover" and "structure" but interested people will have to read more about Buck Perry to understand what he was trying to say. It's way too long to put into a forum message. (You can interpret that as meaning, I'm too lazy.)

"Structure" includes features of bottom topography that creates paths and holding areas that fish follow when traveling back and forth between deeper water, where they hang out when not feeding, and shallower areas where they find food. Sometimes people also take it to mean underwater features where fish both hang out and feed, such as rocky drop-offs for smallmouth.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Left_turn,

Yeah, Buck Perry has nothing on Walking Eagle... In 20 years someone is going to be talking about what Walking Eagle brought to fisherman.... They will be saying, yeah, before Walking Eagle fisherman had never heard of the term elucidated... I think it kinda like halucinated.

A term like that has to be worth a buck, two eighty nine. Maybe more.

Ter

·
Registered
438 Posts
If you want to catch catfish, fish off the old creek channel that was there before the lake got damed up. Unless there's dead trees and an udercut back. Then you may want to put the cork back in the bottle and go home. Elucidation could be catching up with you......could fall in and drownd in the structure

·
Registered
131 Posts
W.E.-----I just recieved my Nov issue of Bassmasters Magazine and they have a full article on Buck Perry! Let me know if you want a copy...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts