Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had my littlte brother stiop by G.loomis and pick me up a blank well I just got it in the mail today. I have never built my own rod before so if any of you guys or ladys have any helpful tips I would much appreciate it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I don't build my own rods yet, but I hope to start soon. There is lots of great info at the Rod Building Forum (www.rodbuildingforum.com). There are some very knowlegeable guys over there, and they are very friendly to newcomers. Also check RodBuilding.org, especially their FAQ section.

Bill at Alpine Angler tells me he gives rod-building lessons. I'll probably take a lesson when I'm ready to get started.

Good luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just take your time with it, and double, triple, and quad. check your guide alignment befor you coat your wraps. A good trick I picked up off the rodbuilding forum was to run a piece of string thru guides from tip top to reel seat, then use this as a reference to allign guides. Also, depending on what your looking for with labels, check out decalconnection.com I've been really happy w/ using these as apposed to pens or paint. Most of all, enjoy it, you'll always have a soft spot in your heart for your first rod, but be prepared to become addicted!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Burn-n-daylight,
I highly recommend the book "Step By Step Rodbuilding". As a beginner it's priceless, well ok, it's $6.95 but you get the idea. I get my components from Mudhole Custom tackle(mudhole.com) or Cabelas tackle craft(you can order the free catalogue at Cabelas.com). As Farrier said though, prepare to get addicted. I just finished my 50th rod two weeks ago and still have 4 blanks waiting to be finished. Biggest thing is take your time and be thorough. Believe me, you'll get aggravated, just stop and come back to it. You can contact me if you have any questions or help.

Dan

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the info. i am very excited to get started. sounds like im in for great time. if it works good i'll be sure to let you guys know and thanks again fo all your help much appreciatd. :eek:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts