Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is their anybody on here willing to admit they have or know of a person that has received a BUI in Colorado?
I have done some google searches and I cant find the consequences, there are various opinions out there on whether or not it effects your drivers license?
A guy at work and I were talking about it today and he said if you are anchored up you cannot receive one. Whether he was right or wrong, I don't know? It did make me realize I didn't know much about this law.

Just curious, any info??

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
They enforce that pretty heavily at a couple.reservoirs in Tennessee I used to.fish.

My buddy Rick got two citations in the two years I lived there. Don't know consequences... he had to pay tickets though.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
http://parks.state.co.us/boating/rulesandregulations/Pages/BoatingRulesandRegs.aspx

Did You Know?

A BUI can be punishable by a year in jail, a loss of boating privileges for 3 months, fines up to $1000 and 96 hours of community service?

http://www.9news.com/news/local/article/347645/222/DUI-vs-BUI-Penalties-different-in-Colorado

"The Blood Alcohol Concentration limit is .08, the same as it is for a DUI. Howeer, receiving a BUI does not impact road driving privileges, just as receiving a DUI does not impact boat-driving privileges. The only time this changes is if someone is injured or killed during a boating accident. If that is the case, the boat driver could lost driving privileges. "

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
http://parks.state.co.us/boating/rulesandregulations/pages/boatingrulesandregs.aspx

did you know?

a bui can be punishable by a year in jail, a loss of boating privileges for 3 months, fines up to $1000 and 96 hours of community service?

http://www.9news.com/news/local/article/347645/222/dui-vs-bui-penalties-different-in-colorado

"the blood alcohol concentration limit is .08, the same as it is for a dui. Howeer, receiving a bui does not impact road driving privileges, just as receiving a dui does not impact boat-driving privileges. The only time this changes is if someone is injured or killed during a boating accident. If that is the case, the boat driver could lost driving privileges. "
Good throw the book at them add weed to the mix too!

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Ha, if you want to rely on that anchor gig, best of luck. They ain't ever messin around with liquor anymore.

My wifes x just got that same ticket at powell in September, not nearly as bad as a dui but they arrested him in Bullfrog, flew him to page and locked him up for the weekend. Then his brother had to drive to page to get him...and the road was washed out...One thing led to another and this little bui is costing him in the neighborhood of 6 grand.

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
Lakes are crowded enuf without drunk and stoned idiots running people over...or nearly running them over...and make a class in boating operation /rules/regs/trailering required for boat ownership to get rid of those idiots too...we do it for cars...you should have basic knowledge...not just the ability to write a check...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So is this a law CPW looks the other direction on as long as it's not deliberate disregard for law? Like I said, I have never heard of anyone receiving one, though know many people who should of.

It seems to me like a fairly easy thing to get caught for. Whether it's cpw checking your license/catch, checking your boat registration, checking for nuisance species, or just hanging out at the ramp. All are very common occurrences and you would think i would hear of more instances.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
I know they have busted people for BUI at Pueblo.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Zman-

The whole weed law is what sparked up the conversation between me and my co worker.
Is CPW going to be equipped with the tools to check for stoned boaters? Will it even be against the law to do so? Will it be allowed to be smoked in our state parks?
All are questions I can't find answers for.
I'm just a curious fella that likes to be edumacated!

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
Yeah because that guy that is drifting around in his float tube at ATown that just took a little puff poses a real danger to zman's little red bathtub...

:confused2:

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
My brother got a BUI from an angry short little ranger guy for tubing drunk on the arkansas river in pueblo. Got arrested and everything.

(it got thrown out in court of course......BUI on a tube, really?)

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
A BUI would be about as dumb as fishin for Laker's with a waterdog. Jeez wake up. Even at 3 Lakes tourney I've seen authorities testing sled drivers and arresting em coming off the ice. Come On Man!

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Isn't the point of tubing to drink???
Yup.....more idiocracy.

As far as BUI's.......it should really depend on the situation. Some guy in an aluminum boat with a small electric trolling motor is just fine at .08.......the other guy with the twin 300 hp's on his Miami Vice boat hauling ass around the lake is not fine at .08......there are happy mediums that I'm sure most level headed rangers take into consideration before issuing a BUI. First off......you have to act drunk to get their suspicion.....stay in control and know your limit. I never take the seats for the bass boat fishing with me.....so pulling a captain morgan on the front deck all day requires some skill after a few drinks.....and also keeps me from getting too buzzed. ;)

The whole weed thing.........it's like this........do you think that just because weed is now legal....that there will be people smoking it on the lake more? I say no.......it's been there all along.......it's just that now......some people may not duck down to puff and it will be seen instead of hidden and unseen. Do I care?.....nope......but if I decide to smoke someday.....you'd better puff-puff-give! Lol...j/k

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
QUESTION.....
Are SNOW MOBILES considered a VEHICLE?
Can You get cited for DWI while operating those?

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Mogul- I know what your saying about a trolling motor vs a 300 hp but you can't make it subjective because then the law becomes whatever the ranger feels like doing. What should he do if its a 5 hp on a 12 ft jon boat.

It needs to be the same for everyone. Sometimes that makes it silly but technically you can get a DUI for moving your auto from the driveway to the garage-now that's silly.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts