Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here know where to get bulk flouro that is comparable to flouro tippet? I'm tired of paying out the ass for tiny flouro spools and finding a flouro with the same diameter has been tough. Everything I found so far has had a bigger diameter.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Sunline sniper

·
Registered
11,849 Posts
I have used sunline sniper for some time now. Tacklewarehouse runs a 2 fer 1 yearly. I bought 3,4,5,6 and 7lb... That said, I just compare diameter, not LB... It is the only floro I have found that is as supple as the fly tippet, and as strong (actually a bit stronger). even at full price you are getting 200 yards for $22

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Dude, just use nylon tippet. Lots of folks do... I fish all the same "technical" water as anyone else around here and do just fine with nylon.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have used sunline sniper for some time now. Tacklewarehouse runs a 2 fer 1 yearly. I bought 3,4,5,6 and 7lb... That said, I just compare diameter, not LB... It is the only floro I have found that is as supple as the fly tippet, and as strong (actually a bit stronger). even at full price you are getting 200 yards for $22
If you compare similar thickness, it's not as strong. The Sniper 5 lb test is .0075 thick. RIO Fluoroflex at the same thickness would be between 4X (.007) and 3x (.008 ) and between 7 and 8.5 pounds test. Not saying it's not good stuff, just pointing out you're giving up some thin to get the same breaking strength.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
^Good point. Casting lines made of the horrid substance are more supple. Tippets are harder and stronger, and therefore contribute to micro-drag.

Someone please kill flourocarbon with fire.

"WE HATES IT!"

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Interesting opposing viewpoint Swimbait.

I haven't jumped on the flouro bandwagon as of yet on either my long rods or conventional tackle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts