Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about buying a BIG spool of 10# Berkley Sensation. I'm wondering about it getting old and stiff like plain mono.
I'd store it in the basement with my cheap wine.
Anyone have any experience with buying co-polymer line and it lasting several years or does is get stiff and brittle like plain mono.
Any opinion on fluorocarbon line lasting several years?

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
I buy bulk spools of InvisX but they don't last me long enough to worry about deterioration. I've never bought any bulk mono or coPol. If you use alot it's worth the savings but if it's just gonna sit for a few years I don't see the point. You could always split a couple bulk spools with a buddy and use it faster...

·
Registered
715 Posts
longdraw said:
I buy bulk spools of InvisX but they don't last me long enough to worry about deterioration. I've never bought any bulk mono or coPol. If you use alot it's worth the savings but if it's just gonna sit for a few years I don't see the point. You could always split a couple bulk spools with a buddy and use it faster...
Splitting spools is a good idea.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I wouldn't sweat buying a bulk spool of line. Keep it cool, dry and out of the light and it will last you a long time. I have only ever had one spool go bad and it was because I left it in the garage over the a couple summers in extreme heat... The only way to go in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Personally, I don't think the savings are worth it. Bought a big spool of YoZuri Hybrid 6 lb a couple of years ago and I think its degraded a bit. I keep it cool and out of the sun but I think its lost some as far as test lb's. Seems more brittle and prone to break.

Never thought of keeping it in the fridge.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I think shelf life of line depends on the brand..I've had Berkley and Stren both last years when stored in a cool, dry, unlit place. I had a spool of Cabela's line stored the same way, and I respooled with that stuff and consequently stripped it off after my trip because it for sure lost some strength. Minor snags would break knots, and the cope de grace was when I cast a 1/4 oz spoon and the damn thing snapped off. It HAD to be the only Hopkins spoon I had, too :mad: Not sure who made that line, but I was sure disappointed.

Good idea about that Cajun Red line..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts