Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
The Mayor
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been loyal to Remmington for about 35 years, almost exclusive in fact. I shoot their 30-30 & 270 cartridges, and almost everything they offer for my 12's (shotguns).

I'd like to try the black cloud shells, and heard that Hornady makes a pretty good bullet for the rifles.....

Give me your opinions on these and anything else you shoot. PLEASE don't turn this in to a re-loading thread cause I don't, and frankly, I don't care. I just want to buy bullets and shoot....

BHR

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
i havn't shot a factory load in over 50 years but if i had to go factory i would lean to hornady. 40 years ago they were at the bottom of the bullet list but over the years they have come to the top. some of their new stuff is awesome. the new pointed soft point for use in lever actions was a real break through

·
The Mayor
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks WS..... I like shooting my old Marlin lever action 30-30 more than any other gun, so I'll try the soft points....

Hogs beware ;D ;D

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
If you want to 'just buy bullets and shoot' why not buy in bulk?

That ammo is good stuff with your approach.

Hard not to chime in about reloading...

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I reload, but when i do buy factory ammo ive been impressed with both Hornady and Federal. Winchester also makes good ammo in thier upper end lines. Whatever you pick, im sure it will be fine if its from any of the major manufacturers, just as long as your particular firearm shoots well with it. Last year i used Hornday Superformance in for my .308, and was impressed in both the accuracy and increased muzzle velocity (without increased recoil)

Also, if you care....Federal Premium is by far the most accurate match grade line of ammunition i have used, and ive used a bunch. Whatever powders they load seem to work well accross the board in any of the match grade firearms ive put it through.

·
Banned
2,918 Posts
I've tried Black Cloud ammunition. In all honesty, I didn't see any difference than regular steel or tungsten. I say save your money and buy the stuff that Wal-Mart sells.

The last time I bought shells (about a month ago), Wal-Mart had Winchester Xpert Hi-Velocity 3-1/2 #2 shot going 1625 fps. That's absolutely screaming!

K-Mart has pretty good deals on shells as well but the last time I went to the one down the street from me, they didn't have any hunting stuff at all anymore. Not sure if it's because of the neighborhood or what.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts