Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out today just to have a little fun. I didn't expect anything huge, being that there are more babies than anything. Usually I fish the second pond on the south side of Highway 52 from the dike. But I decided today to try to access the deep channel that runs through it. Iwent to the south end of the second lake and geared up by putting on my chest waders, setting up my 8' light action rod, and baiting up with chicken livers. I had a #4 circle hook tied on my line with a shy bite bobber. I set my bobber stop about two feet up. I waded out past the cattails and after a few casts found the channel. I cast out to my left and watched my float when BAM! my float disappeared and my drag took off. I thought I had a carp, but it was a two pound bullhead. I couldn't believe what it was able to do to light tackle! I fished there for four hours and ended up with 8 bullheads weighing between a pound and two pounds! Great day of fishing.

·
Registered
119 Posts
catmann, do you know if there's good bass fishing in Banner Lakes? I passed by them years ago and they looked pretty nice, with thick vegetation everywhere.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Banner Lakes is located about seven miles east of Hudson on Highway 52. The bass fishing is excellent. In the 1980's I caught tons of 5,6,7, and 8 lb bass. Now, because of the cattail overgrowth, and because the north lakes are shut down for 7 months, the population is in decline. You will need either chest waders or a belly boat to get out far enough to work the cattails. The best best for bass is the north lakes. They are available to the public from April to July. The lakes south of 52 are open year around but support smaller bass populations. The bullheads I caught were about 14-15 inches long and were FAT!

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
17 inches is the state catch and release record for bullheads

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That won't happen out of Banner. The bullheads are stunted and you really have to target the big ones. Take two or three dozen nightcrawlers, break them in half and put them on a hook. You'll catch 20 or 30 bullheads less than 6 inches before you catch a keeper.

·
Registered
636 Posts
That place is loaded with those for sure. I always caught em when I used to fish banner. Did you guys hear about the decomposed body they found out there last week?
Catmann29: Are those ponds pretty deep or could you wade out there pretty far? I am planning on hitting it on opening duck day and wanted to set up some dekes.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
[Did you guys hear about the decomposed body they found out there last week/quote]...how did them "Alfred Packer" bullheads taste?!

YikeZ!!!

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They are fairly deep. You can bearly get outside the cattails with chest waders. I took a belly boat when I used to hunt there to retrieve the ducks. I would cut a half moon shaped hole in the catatils and stay there in my belly boat. Ducks never knew what hit them. Try to get to the ponds furthest north to get at the ducks before eveyone else does.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What is the down low on that dead body that was found? Where was it found? How long had it been there? What day was it found?

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
catmann29 said:
What is the down low on that dead body that was found?  Where was it found?  How long had it been there?  What day was it found?
Walking Eagle, are they on to you?

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
if i said it once i said it a 1000 times WE chuming is illegal in co

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
roadkill said:
Since crawdads are not a game fish, well not even a fish. chumming for crawdads isnt illegal.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
ePiC said:
roadkill said:
Since crawdads are not a game fish, well not even a fish.  chumming for crawdads isnt illegal.
lol....good point and i used to cram the bodies in the little crawfish traps thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts