Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Would you be interested in seeing a bait/tackle shop return near pueblo res?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Don't Care

• Total voters
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the family is thinking of running a new bait shop by the res. Any comments our advice? Would you like to see a return of a bait shop in the area?

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I chose don't care, not because I'm uninterested in your success, but just because I don't fish Pueblo res.

I started a bait business and ran it for several years when I was a college student, and I can say that Walleye Seeker has it right. If you get it all together you can make money at it, no doubt about that. You can't do it single handed, though, because the hours would be too long and you would burn out on it. Gotta have some help.

Good luck.

·
Registered
176 Posts
You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take. ~Wayne Gretzky

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
the hunters cove was a good place to get bait but that was a sporting goods store that sold bait. if he hadn't got killed in a roll over accident he would still be doing good. that is the secret of a bait store you need more than bait and fishing tackle. you also have to compete with walmart now on both the north and south. just some minnows and leaches isn't enough

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Yep....Can't make much money just selling bait in Pueblo....People may pick up a pack or two of hooks...but don't expect them to support you with tackle sales...basically they'll only be showing up for minnows and leeches..You can find worms or crawlers anywhere.

It's a short season...May through September and rents still need to be paid from October through April. How many bait shops have failed over time in Pueblo...the answer...all of them..

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
A great friend of mine owned and operated a bait shop with his father for over 40 yrs and after the big wallmart boom the only thing they made money off of was Minnows! Then you have to deal with teh thiefs who like to pocket your items being mostly whats in your store! pocket items!

He used to make alot of money off selling Amo, and now wallmart has killed that for teh small mom & pop stores also. Bait shops make great business's to have withinh a business!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Just so you all know, I voted in favor of it.

I think there is a real need for one that is not buried on some side street in Downtown, that would be difficult to find at 4:30 AM in the morning.

I agree with those who propose it to be a risky business, needing plenty of help.

But it would be a helpful thing.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
In the current economy I think you need not only a brick and mortar, but a great online presence as well. The comment about seasonal stuff is dead on too, fishing season for the masses in CO seems to be about May through Aug./Sept., that leaves a lot of months of slow time. If you can get a line on hard to get items that could help generate a bit of income.

The comment about the potential for live bait being outlawed in the near future should also be taken into consideration. If a business was started based on something that becomes illegal, the business is doomed.

·
Registered
436 Posts
You should just sell minnows & leeches from a big tank on the side of hwy 50.

No overhead.
No shoplifting.

All you need a permission to use a parking lot near by and get a big sign.

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
Don't hold yourself back to only bait, do something else from the shop too. Bills live bait here in Denver also does (I think) sheet metal fabrication out of their shop, and only a little corner is a bait and tackle shop. If you have a house right off the main drag (thatcher?) then you are in good shape. Otherwise, a bait shop only may not work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts