Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out for a couple hours of catching little bass at the local '5 minutes from my house' pond this afternoon. I was wading the north shoreline and casting. there were people camped out on the south west shoreline and it was one of those calm days where you can hear a whisper a mile away.

I heard a ruckus over there and looked up and saw that 2 wardens were busting a small group of hispanics for : no fishing lisences, no i.d.'s and I believe they also had undersized/ overlimit fish (bass size limit is 15").

I was quite glad to see it. Now, I dont care if someone's hispanic, polish, purple, martian or whatever but it really pisses me off to see unlisenced, non citizens taking undersized fish. If you're going to fish here at least have the brains enough to ask some questions and figure out what you need to do to be legal.

Anyway...I got to see some tax dollars at work and it was good. BTW, I've been checked twice already in this young season...go wardens.

oh yeah, I caught some little 8" bass too.

rant over.

·
Registered
699 Posts
at prospect today i saw atleast 15 people busted all hispanic for the same thing i was checked by 5 count them 5 different wardens today and just so you know of the fifteen busted 5 were arrested on the spot

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I havent been checked in 2 years :mad: Glad they are out checking licenses, with the nice weather there sure are alot of people out. I managed to hop into pikeview today for an hour or so and there were 20+ people there fishing.

M

·
0 Posts
I haven't been checked in 3 years either. Though I have had wardens come up and ask me how the fishing is going. They must be watching from afar. It's good to hear they're out in force. I hope it continues throughout the summer - though I have to give them a lot of credit for putting up with folks especially during the summer holidays. They've got a really tough job.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
I've been checked twice in the past 6 months-seems like they are stepping up enforcement. Hope it continues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You have a good post and at the same time everyone has a right to do what they want.........but I have watched all the western jeffco bass fisheries dimishished greatly over the last 10 yrs do to dumb people killing young fish. That takes away the places my father taught me to catch bass from my son. We pay to play and those with ethics play right. A season of big fish to all who hunt with class.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Last week I saw a warden ride his bike alond a path by some ponds and busted a small group of little anglos.......I think they were IRISH.

Pondfisher

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Those darn little Irish. They're gonna overrun this country. Pretty soon, they're gonna want their own holiday. They've already got everyone eating Irish food (McDonalds) ;)

F

·
0 Posts
I've been checked twice at brush hollow this year. I watch from my boat as the warden goes around the lake, you can see people figure out who he is and they pack up really fast. They need to double team the lake and hit it from both sides lol. The first warden that checked me was sneaky, he was watching from binos on the ridgeline THEN came around. Both were nice guys, I wish they would bust some of the people i see on shore loading their grocery bags with stocker trout.

·
Registered
699 Posts
for your info mcdonalds is scottish lol and by god i will not tolerate the unfair treatment of the irish my people and heck if you didnt have us here who would fight your fires and arrest your crooks lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was fishing at Boyd Lake today and was asked twice for license, in different areas of lake.

Lots of hits only caught a 8" rainbow so relesed it.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lundman78 said:
What's worse, taking undersized fish, or leaving trash behind?  They both drive me nuts.
Me too!

I would say taking undersized fish is worse...harder to replace and the chain reaction it starts is more severe and harder to recover from. Garbage can easily be picked up. I think people who do both should be smacked upside the head real hard.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Last I read A stocker Trout coat the DOW about 90 odd cents.
I think cleaning up trash cost more.
We fished Valco ponds today and picked up lots of trash. Only saw one fish caught.

·
Registered
40 Posts
ddlux said:
at the same time everyone has a right to do what they want.........
Not to pick on anyone, but I've heard this from many people...and it's completely wrong.  Yes, we live in America...but NO we DO NOT have the right to do what we want.  I don't have the right to walk into Circuit City and walk out with a flat screen TV without paying for it.  I don't have the right to walk up to someone and punch 'em in the nose.  I don't have the right to do anything simply because I want to.  That's why there's laws...to prevent people from just doing whatever they feel like.

I think we, as the general public, are AFRAID to do anything.  When we see people filling grocery bags full of stockers if it's obviously over their limit, do you let a warden know?  Do you tell the poachers what they're doing is illegal?  Nothing will change unless the people playing by the rules, stand up and do something.  My suggestions...when you see illegal activity, let the authorities know.  As you enter a park, get a contact number of the warden.  Ask them what you should do if you witness illegal taking of fish.  Or you could hit the waters that require a good hike.  Typically, poachers stick close to their cars...just in case they need to make a quick get-away.

Many people would say "Let's not make a Federal Case over a few fish."  Well then, get ready for a big decline in fishery quality like we've already started to see. It's not a matter of ethics...it's a matter of law!

It's estimated that Colorado has approximately 500,000 illegals living here (all nationalities).  They can't get a fishing license even if they wanted to...no ID!  Doesn't really matter.  They have no respect for our laws in the first place (remember, they're here illegally), so what do you expect when it comes to limit/size laws for fish?

Glad to hear the wardens are out busting illegal activity. Go get 'em guys!!!
Done with my rant.

Lip Ripper

·
Registered
157 Posts
I am so glad to hear it! DOW has been stepping up patrols in FTC it seems. I chatted with one the other day while fishing with my son and told him Dixson has to be the most abused palce in FTC. He said he would be stepping up patrols out there.

If you tell me this was at Dixson, I am going to jump for joy!

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Zias said:
I am so glad to hear it!  DOW has been stepping up patrols in FTC it seems.  I chatted with one the other day while fishing with my son and told him Dixson has to be the most abused palce in FTC.  He said he would be stepping up patrols out there.

If you tell me this was at Dixson, I am going to jump for joy! 
Start jumping...It was dixon.

I really love fishing at dixon becasue it is literally 3 minutes from my house. However...Last year I caught literally hundreds of small 8-10" bass there and only ever caught 2 over 15". I heard of one group getting busted there last year with 30+ undersized fish. I'm glad they will be stepping things up.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I really think this is happening becasue most of these people are not informed, immigration is a hot topic these days but I think that if we could notify (in spanish) thru signs that you must have a license & post fish limits then i would say these occurences will be eventually reduced. I wouldnt be surprised that most of these anglers dont recognize fish species. So maybe harder enforcement along with leaflets in spanish that explains CO fishing laws may prevent such abuse.

I am not spanish but understand why this is happening.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts