Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished Buttonrock above Lyons this evening, from about 6:30-8:30. Got practically nothing for the entire first hour, using a tube jig. At times, those things are almost unfair at this lake, but not today. Switched to a silver kastmaster for about the final 45 minutes. Landed a 19" cuttbow almost immediately, had another nice fish get off at my feet, and missed a few more. What sucked was the darker it got, the better the fishing seemed to get, and the creepier the two mile hike back down to my car would be! Lots of bears up there munching on choke cherries.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I think Longmont sells six hundred a year. Seems like most people buy the permit then go once or twice. I had the entire lake to myself yesterday.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
I've been waiting on a post from Buttonrock.  :)

I wouldn't worry at all about the bears... It's the cougars that like to munch on anglers you have to look out for.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Thats what i was thinking as well.I was fishing the St. Vrain below the res a couple years ago and a guy drove by and said to be careful,they just spotted a mountain lion a few hundred yards away.That ended that fishing trip.

lyn

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
I don't know if you know where Lions Gulch is. It is a nice hiking trail a few miles up the road. It leads to some old homestead remains. My buddie was hiking up to do some backcountry camping. He had a young cougar follow him (probably practicing stalking). He saw it on 3 occasions, pretty close. It was getting dark, so he still camped. He said he didn't sleep much though. :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
kpetro,
Glad to see you are in the very small group of guys that throw tube jigs.(the BEST all around trout bait ever!) Thats all I use everywhere. Thanks for the report. Try where the Vrain dumps into the lake, the fish are grouped up there still eating eggs.(1/64 oz pink tube under a float will do the trick)
Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts