Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got two Eagle fishfinders on my boat-gonna treat myself to a new one this spring.

I'm torn between the Hummingbird 570 DI and the Lowrance Mark 5X DSI.

The Hummingbird is 640x320 pixels, 2400 watts dual beam greyscale. The Lowrance is 480x480 pixels, 2400 watt, also greyscale. Both units are new for 2011, I believe, so theres no service or quality record to look at.

The two units seem comparable and both cost $299 at BPS. I owned a couple of Humminbirds way back when and had some problems with them so all things being
equal, if leaning toward the Lowrance unit.

Any recomendations on which is the better way to go? Is one more user friendly and easier to operate (I'm tech challenged). :)

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I upgraded to X125 480X480 a few years ago and could not be happier. Excellent definition, so I vote for the Lowrance.

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
I have a humminbird 570 that has dualbeam, and it's pretty solid. I've only had 3 fish finders though... So not sure what that is worth. I seriously want to upgrade to a SI unit. More so than even a gps. I have 2 handheld gps' for that...

But, with a 570, it's probably your best decent display with a dual beam ducer for under $180.

Rob

·
The Mayor
2,101 Posts
I have one of each on my boat. A Lowrance on the front deck, and the Humminbird at the wheel. The humminbird works better at high speed IMO, but I run the bowmount trollin motor and do most of the fishing on the front deck, and the Lowrance actually has better graphics.

So, for pure fish finding, I like the Lowrance, and for better navigation, I like the Humminbird..

If any of that makes sense....

BHR

·
Registered
978 Posts
beadheadred said:
I have one of each on my boat. A Lowrance on the front deck, and the Humminbird at the wheel. The humminbird works better at high speed IMO, but I run the bowmount trollin motor and do most of the fishing on the front deck, and the Lowrance actually has better graphics.

So, for pure fish finding, I like the Lowrance, and for better navigation, I like the Humminbird..

If any of that makes sense....

BHR

You may need to speed the bing up on your lowrance, that should make it track the bottom better at higher speeds.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Both look pretty sweet but neither comes with a GPS, I think. I have an old M68C S/Map and having the GPS built right in is great, since I often see interesting "stuff" down deep and want to check it out later. Still, if I remember correctly, adding the GPS adds a couple more C-notes to the cost, so I think I'd lean towards the unit with the greatest resolution so that you get the clearest picture of what is happening down below.

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys. My Eagle units which are really Lowrance anyway have worked flawlessly so thats the way I'm gonna go. Side imaging or GPS capability would be cool but $$$ are important too.

If this unit gives images anything like the picture they show in the catalogue, it seems to be almost picture quality.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts