Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went up today just at day light. Walked almost to Buena Vista from the South boat ramp. Fished in water 6' to 10' moving several times. Between two of us caught 24 fish all between 16"-18" and turned all but four back for someone else to take home. White 1 1/2" tube jigs with meal worm and pink jig head with krill -some dead stick but most jigging worked for us. All fish were really fat and the ice was starting to rot on top and about 10". GO GET EM before they drain the lake. Parking lot looked like DIA at Christmas but was not crowed where we were fishing.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
lol, dia at christmas. yep and so it begins.. hopefully itll come back as good as it was when it came back before...
always good fun with the spunk they have there too. still a few bigguns lurking imo.

·
Registered
131 Posts
antero

It's not hard to figure out,get rid of the use of lures with double 3 treble hooks that just kill fish and make this reservoir a fly fishing only lake, and it will rival the lakes in Montana.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It's not hard to figure out,get rid of the use of lures with double 3 treble hooks that just kill fish and make this reservoir a fly fishing only lake, and it will rival the lakes in Montana.
That's a good idea and all...but... Thats like a ski resort (literally) that do not allow snowboarders. sure, its good for the people that go there, but they're also depriving everyone else of what it has to offer. Blacks to the back of the bus, spinfishermen can't fish here....... Just sayin.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
That's a good idea and all...but... Thats like a ski resort (literally) that do not allow snowboarders. sure, its good for the people that go there, but they're also depriving everyone else of what it has to offer. Blacks to the back of the bus, spinfishermen can't fish here....... Just sayin.
I agree.

I look forward to the "new" Antero.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Ok how about allowing spin fishing, but lures and single barbless hooks only? Then everbody but the filthy mouth breathing baitcasters win. And unlike black people baitslingers are truly sub human, but by choice...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ok how about allowing spin fishing, but lures and single barbless hooks only? Then everbody but the filthy mouth breathing baitcasters win. And unlike black people baitslingers are truly sub human, but by choice...
Ive never even fished here im just being nosy:D sounds like a start, but you miiiiight have stepped on a few toes with that statement....

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
Or, you realize that it is a lake the winter kills every couple years anyway and leave the regulations the same, but actually enforce the rules that are in place.

With current enforcement, doesn't really matter what the rules are anywa.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Or, you realize that it is a lake the winter kills every couple years anyway and leave the regulations the same, but actually enforce the rules that are in place.

With current enforcement, doesn't really matter what the rules are anywa.
If they put aerators on the lake... Winter kill won't be an issue...

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Its a catch and keep lake bait lake for larger fish that winterkills...its always going to be...go to one of the 20 other gold medal waters with restrictions...such as Spinney right across the street...no I seldom fish it...its been about 3 years...it aint changing...

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Its a catch and keep lake bait lake for larger fish that winterkills...its always going to be...go to one of the 20 other gold medal waters with restrictions...such as Spinney right across the street...no I seldom fish it...its been about 3 years...it aint changing...
We will see. Don't be surprised if they don't change the lake and change the regs.

I'll also add... Don't be surprised if they do this, if they start charging fees as well.

They need to do something. And to counter you with your own logic.... All the catch and keep bait fishermen can drive 20 more miles down the road and fish elevenmile....

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
We will see. Don't be surprised if they don't change the lake and change the regs.

I'll also add... Don't be surprised if they do this, if they start charging fees as well.

They need to do something. And to counter you with your own logic.... All the catch and keep bait fishermen can drive 20 more miles down the road and fish elevenmile....
What are you talking about when you say " They need to do something." ? What about the reservoir do you think they need to change? I mean, besides making half of it twice as deep. Yes, I have a degree in lake-ology like the rest of CF members.

That put and take lake is needed in CO. I agree with Zman, it ain't changing.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Ive never even fished here im just being nosy:D sounds like a start, but you miiiiight have stepped on a few toes with that statement....
I am pretty sure that **** talk is required to post in CF forums....:tongue:

·
Registered
702 Posts
Shallow + weedy = grow big trout fast

·
Registered
13 Posts
If they are making it deeper, winter kill won't be a problem. Top 2 lakes that winter kill are Antero & Lake John . Shallow & weeds = winter kill.

Aerators for Antereo = $$$$ up front + perpetual Maintenance ... Expect fees to drastically rise...and Still doesn't work if there's no water. ..

Supply - Demand = Water... This res. is effected by 3 huge Drainages.

I'm a fake bug guy and there's a lot of restricted water in Colorado, Antereo grows fish... Enough for everyone...

8) 8) 8)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Correct me if im wrong but "fake bugs" have no restriction anywhere that im aware of. Artificial flies and lure areas are everywhere. Unfortunately ive had buddies use worms or what have you in those areas and I can see why. Slaughtered the fish, one after another on a little piece of worm on a hook. I stand by those areas fully. The only way to get around that is to buy a fly pole:D

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Maybe raising lake levels a couple of feet will help..biggest problem with winter kill is the big snow years when light can't penetrate the ice.. But, if you can't get rid of the suckers...what does it matter?

Just leave the regs alone...reduces the pressure on the Mile and Spinney.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts