Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, when ya'll said Barr was low, I didn't realize how low that meant. It probably only covers about 250 of the original 800+ acres if that much. Also, watercraft are all either carry in or none. The boat ramp is closed. And as a finale, it looks like there's been an algae bloom, the water's like pea soup.
So how was the fishing you ask?
Skunk. Period.
I was going after bass/bluegill and really wasn't too serious today, but there were carp all over the place, jumping, slurping, sunning, etc. You could have a pretty good time with some corn and doughballs out there right now. Big big fish.
There were a few guys near the ramp fishing for cats. They hooked two in the 5 minutes it took me to row back from the dam. i believe they said they were using nightcrawlers, but right now I honestly think you could through anything with some good scent as concentrated as the fish are.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
THe lower the water levels get the worse the fishing is... less water means less oxygen for the fish and so they start using less energy. I never been to Barr so I dont know if this plays into it are not but its an excuse for the skunk. :p

·
Registered
578 Posts
VolFan said:
OK, when ya'll said Barr was low, I didn't realize how low that meant.  It probably only covers about 250 of the original 800+ acres if that much.
Sounds like Horseshoe Lake next to Boyd Lake. Horseshoe is just a puddle now!

·
Registered
636 Posts
ePiC said:
THe lower the water levels get the worse the fishing is... less water means less oxygen for the fish and so they start using less energy.  I never been to Barr so I dont know if this plays into it are not but its an excuse for the skunk.   :p
/i would have to disagree with you for once ePIC. I have had some of my best fishing days at Barr when the water is low. In fact, the only time that I have ever caught fish at Barr is when the water is low usually in mid october. Haven't been there for a few years when the water is low but I am sure it will pick up like it used to.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
gotmuskie? said:
ePiC said:
THe lower the water levels get the worse the fishing is... less water means less oxygen for the fish and so they start using less energy. I never been to Barr so I dont know if this plays into it are not but its an excuse for the skunk. :p
/i would have to disagree with you for once ePIC. I have had some of my best fishing days at Barr when the water is low. In fact, the only time that I have ever caught fish at Barr is when the water is low usually in mid october. Haven't been there for a few years when the water is low but I am sure it will pick up like it used to.
Rottal said:
Fished Barr last night for a few hours for cats...water was very low (but not as low as everyone made it sound i thought)
I think I was thinking like Rottal on this one... Since I have never been to Barr it probably just low for Barr but still bigger then alot of lakes with its fish levels.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
It was low, but not too bad...still fishable by any means. I too prefer Barr when its lower, as access to more of the lake is possible. This, however, had no bearing on my fishing success this year so i could be completely wrong. ;)

Im still not giving up on it yet though...theres still a big cat out there with my name on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts