Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have comcast, but am sick of paying $100.00 month! Is dish any cheaper? And on that note, I have comcast DSL, used to have Qwest which was cheaper, but slower. Any suggestions for saving some $ and still getting good service?

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Your DSL price will go up if its part of a package deal right now... There are pros and cons to both, cable usually pay higher but get better service and options like on demand and stuff. Dish is usually cheaper but on stormy nights it can go out, snow cover can interupt signal and strong winds can move your dish off a little bit which by time it reaches the sattalite can be way off, which can mean bad signal or none at all. Not all cable channels are digital but all sattalite channels are. There are more channels to pick from with cable then with a dish but I find there never is anything on either way. Good luck I dont think I helped. :p

·
Registered
935 Posts
scubapig said:
I have comcast, but am sick of paying $100.00 month!  Is dish any cheaper?  And on that note, I have comcast DSL, used to have Qwest which was cheaper, but slower.  Any suggestions for saving some $ and still getting good service?
I have comcast basic cable and cable broadband. Costs about $85/mo. No need for their high-speed broadband, or any premium cable channels, so I pay less. sometimes, if you moan to comcast and threaten to switch to qwest, they will tell you they are faster, but eventually relent if you don't care, and give you a discount for at least a few months.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Neither!!!!! Its all about DirecTV & TiVO, It will change your life 4ever!!!

IMO

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
935 Posts
So I take it you like TiVO.  I have been curious about it, but I have to hide my curiosity from my wife, who would view my attachment to television as a character flaw. ::)

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Cutthroat said:
So I take it you like TiVO.  I have been curious about it, but I have to hide my curiosity from my wife, who would view my attachment to television as a character flaw.   ::)

She too will love it. I dont know anyone w/ TiVO that doesnt love having it. Say there is a show you love, Set a seasson pass and never have to worry about missing it again. If your a true hack you can network your TiVO to you home network and transfer shows from it to your Computer and burn them to DVD( I did that with Shark Hunters). You can also play all the music from your computer on your TiVO aswell as all the pictures. This is something you have to 'hack' but its great.

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
must be nice to complain about cable or dish
the wife new the heating bill was going to be bad this
winter so we turned off the cable so i dont even get to
watch the broncos lose this week ;D

but thats cool jay about the hacking thing
and burning them to disk got any fishing shows i
can watch ;D ;D

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
fishingkats said:
got any fishing shows i
can watch ;D ;D
Did you ever catch the Shark Hunter show? If not let me know and Ill see about burning a DVD of it for you.

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
117 Posts
Direct TV and Tivo is the BEST in my opinion! it has changed how we watch tv completely!!! We got a good deal thru qwest. Weve got out phone, dsl, and direct tv all bundled together for about 105/month

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Direct TV still has the same issues as dish with the weather...

·
Registered
247 Posts
I had directv and every time it snowed, rained, got windy, ... the signal went out. Plus we have an HD tv and wanted high speed internet and cable was a more affordable way to go to get all that. I'm still torn on which is better. If the dish could keep a signal and quit freezing up, i'd probably beleive it was a better way to go since all the channels are digital.

JC

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I may be with Kats...time to disconnect so I can turn the heat back on :)

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
ePiC said:
Direct TV still has the same issues as dish with the weather...
Please, I've had DTV for years and it only went out once. Besides, Thats why TiVO is great. If it does go out you still have plenty of recorded shows to watch!

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
935 Posts
My mother in law got DirectTV in Northern Wisconsin and has had a lot of trouble, too. She regrets having dropped cable. I think it's just sensitive to how and where you have it set up, and while it can be done poorly, it can also be done very well and be very reliable.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I know a bunch of people who install dish and directTV they have a tolerance angle that they need to be in. If its set perfect your dish should always stay with in tolerance. But if it is just set in tolerance then strong winds snow and all kinds of stuff can throw it off.
Jay you may not get as strong of winds, but I know a couple people out in Yoder area that has insane winds that blow the dish out of spec all the time.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
If you go through Qwest you can get DirectTV, phone service, and DSL for just a shade under $100 a month as a package deal. I have only once had trouble with the reception and it was due to snow piling on the dish. Cleaned all the snow off (and it was a ********) and the pic was good as new. The service has always been polite and prompt whenever I had questions with DirectTV as well, which I can't say for Qwest or Comcast...

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I have had DirecTV for several years and only rarely have had any dropouts (my experience is the same as VolFan's, a dropout occurs if too much snow gets on the dish or in VERY heavy rain). I also know, however, that the HDTV setup was much more sensitive than the normal channels and I had more problems with it until I requested that a tech come out and realign the dish. The HDTV required a tilt angle setting in addition to the standard azimuth and elevation as I recall and the window of signal was very narrow.

The company itself has also been great to work with in my experience...

·
Registered
664 Posts
I have had comcast digital cable for years and recently got the high speed internet. both are incredible as far as operation goes, but I agree that the $100 bill each month is insane. Because of this I started researching options and decided that to get a similar product would be about the same cost each month and the internet service would be about 10 times slower and the tv service may have issues with multiple rooms, etc.

The thing that really sucks is that I can live with basic cable (instead of digital) and save a few bucks a month but the high speed internet (at 10Mbps) instanly spoils you and I would probably smash my computer with a large club if I had to go back to dial up.

O0 p.s. I love the afro thing...looks kind of like Ben Wallace! O0

1 - 20 of 22 Posts