Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm headed to cabo 2-17 thru 2-23. I have always done well chucking metal off the beach and slow trolling rapalas from the panga's. A thought came to me (scary,huh?). I read a report of a guy hammering the roosterfish on clouser's. I have these huge casting bubbles and figure why not use the old fly and bubble technique? It's gotta work! Are there any local places for saltwater type flys? Or just any old clouser should work? I'm excited,man.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Slayer most local shops should have some clouser minnow patterns available to choose from.  I'm just not sure if they come with with a stainless hook or not.

I'm also not sure if one color works better then another, but hopefully there is a local shop in Cabo you can contact for that information.

Good luck and post your pics when you get back!

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Slayer never fished there but live in Florida half the year and solid white, white green and white with silver really work. I wouldn't worry about stainless expecially if you get into them they will be desrtoyed anyways. 3/4 oz kastys with the white bucktail will probally outfish anything off the beach other then bait.. If you can get some live shiners free line them near rocks or use a casting cork and let the waves bring them back in. Man all this salt water talk is making me jealous.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Slayer - It has been a while since I was down in Cabo, but there is at least one fly shop down at the marina. I forgot what it was called, but bet you can find them on the internet. We fly fished for Roosters once, but was from a boat. We went around the point to the Pacific side and the Roosters were cruizing just outside the break. I don't know if you will be able to reach them from shore, but it would be worth a shot. When we fished for them the captain would tease the fish in with live bait skiddered on top of the water. As the bait and following Rooster got closer to the boat you would huck your fly infront of the Rooster as if it was the bait. It was tough conditions for us so we never connected with one, but I know they are there. It might even be worth it to get a Panga for a few hours and tell the guy to take you over to the Pacific side. I would do it in the morning because it can get pretty rough come afternoon. I hope you slay some. Give us a report when you get back.

Rip Lip

·
Registered
16,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have put in many hours up the pacific side from the arch to the old lighthouse in a panga. I just never messed with the flys before. The sierra(spanish mackerel) come in pretty close to shore so I bet I can get into some of them. Kasty's with the white bucktail are exactly what I throw from shore. Those toothy fish will destroy all my lures for sure.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Do you ever get any of the big Jacks near the beach. I'm pretty sure they call them Toros down there but they are one of my favorite fish to catch. Slayer last time down in Florida my little boy caught a big Spanish Mac for florida standards maybe 5 lbs. and as I was getting ready to attempt to put a boca grip on it a 30-40 cuda nailed it. 2 sec later there was only a head attached to the little pompano jig and my sons eyes where just huge and I had a mild heart attack.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Ok Slayer, no one has said it so I will....YOU LUCKY DOG! Post some pics when you get back.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Slayer...I am light green with envy.  Light green only because I get to do some saltwater fly fishing later this spring.  As far as the fishing down there goes, check out the following website http://www.pacificextremes.com/.  The author, Ken Hanley, is a very well-respected author who specializes in fly fishing on the Pacific coast.  I'm sure you can find some of the information you're looking for there.  Another good contact is Bob Marriots Fly Fishing store (http://bobmarriotts.net/) in southern California.  They regularly set people up for Baja trips and woudl be glad to help you out.  One final resource to check out is Baja on the Fly http://www.bajafly.com/.

Man, I wish I could go with you...I guess I'll have to just be patient and wait for my turn at some saltwater speedsters!

FishDr

·
Registered
16,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wish we could hook up down there fdr-although my wife would prolly be a little bummed! I cant imagine what it would be like to go there and just fish. We stay at the Solmar right on lands end.Right on the beach so I fish the beach every morning at first light. I also get some evenings in. I'll prolly get 3 half-days in the panga so I guess I shouldn't whine.Thanx for the links.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I went to Cabo twice last year. 1st in june and then came back again in July. great place. The surf fishing around cabo is pretty much impossible. the waves crash hard and the undertow is incredibly strong. I did rent a panga from Gordo banks pangas in san jose ( 25miles from Cabo) I caught a bunch of large sierra mackeral.
If shore fishing is what you are after i recommend renting a car and driving to the east cape. 70mile trip. Stay in buena vista or punta colorado. you will be in the proected bay side and won't have to worry about crashing surf. I did see 2 roosterfish from the shore but no bites. we did manage to catch a bunch of different species while driving around the beach on ATV's and looking for breaking fish. In Feb/ march I think you will have good chances at sierra mackeral, maybe Dorado and tuna. Get a panga for at least one trip. it is 200$ well spent. good luck.

·
Registered
16,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've done a lot of shore fishing in cabo and the surf is rarely a problem. Prolly has to do with time of year or weather.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
my question is, if your catching fish with the standard stuff why use a fly unless your going to put it behind a fly line? come on Slayer just give in, you know your good at what you do...now just pick up that ugly fly rod and and be good at that too!

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
what is a fly? nothing but a lure right it is the rod and line that make it fly fishing

some of the first ass lures were just pieces of red flanel shirts tied on a hook and jigged in the water. hum kinda sounds like a crude fly so was that "fly fishing"?

and what does it matter why someone does something some other way if they are enjoying them selves

i could ask why waste your time with a flyrod when you can do just as good or better with other methods of tossing flys (in some situations)

just have fun with the way you like to do it

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Roadkill...you totally misconstrued what I said. It was a lazy attempt of joking with slayer. Seriously though, this thread is about cabo san lucas. LEts not make it about the differance between fly and conventional gear K? Slayer, have an awsome time and I can't wait to see the pictures man!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts