Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
ARKANSAS RIVER ~~~~

Apr 15 - 16, chartreuse Copper Johns and chartreuse Prince Nymphs were working well from Parkdale to Howard. Wind from NW to SE was horrid. No flying Caddis

Yesterday, Apr 28, somewhat less wind, but still gusty. Minor Caddis hatch beginning at 2:30 PM, at Parkdale. Fish were not taking any of the above nymphs. Talked to several other fishers; all reported one to two fish for the day. Observed several guide boats; none were catching any fish.

No BWO.

Water level was good; clarity was good.

·
Registered
883 Posts
We may not see much of a hatch this year. With the water being so low and hundreds people trampeling through every run, I figure all of the caddis nymphs have either dried up or been smashed.

S

·
0 Posts
Was there today - THICK CADDIS from Parkdale thru Cotopaxi ! Literally in your eyes and ears, crawling over everything. First fish about 10 secs in on the first cast, 30-40 fish between two of us - all browns with a couple random bows. Used a single dry most of the day, browns didnt just take - they were out for blood ! Hardest fights ive had in a while !
WIND was fierce all day, not much fun but anyone who can cast into the wind will do fine. Coto to above Coaldale has some caddis/bwo but not as epic as downriver. Look for faster seams off a good long riffle - lots of fish - no need to cast more than 5ft off the banks. Also caught on buckskin/black ribbed pupae, HOPPERS, BWO dries, beatis nymphs. Thickest caddis ive seen in a while.

S

·
0 Posts
definately " one of those days" !! Had fish at every stop we made, consistant action all day - twas sweet ! Every pullout had a few vehicles, lighter traffic above Cotopaxi. Lots of guide rafts as well today. Ill post a couple pix later on.

·
Registered
883 Posts
sswan said:
Has that happened before, Chris?
No I was just talking smack about the hords. This year the crowds have been just stupid! Yesterday I literally saw 9 guys in a run that should have only had two people.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
Nice you guys got out... Jamie, real sorry I was so short on my text, I took three seniors crappie fishing and they had me as their personal slave and gofer for the day, so I was driving them home and knew texting too much would result in another horrid conversation on the incompitence of the younger generation.. ;D

I got a decent report from a buddy from Thursday about caddis in similar areas, but Thurs they would not take the drys as much as the emergers.

Got me a new fast action rod just for windy days like yesterday, I am caught up at work, I got buddies inviting me fishing, and I am still unable to even cast a rod!!! What have I done to deserve this torture?!?!?

Glad you guys got into some fish.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Cast into the wind? I couldn't even mend into that wind.

I had been wondering if the crowds were typically this thick this early...

·
Registered
883 Posts
The hatch is not late, it always happens when the bugs are ready and conditions are right. It always cracks me up how we fisherman put a date or time frame on a natural event. The caddis know what they are doing, and have been doing it forever.

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They didn't know what they were doing when they showed up two weeks earlier than this year?

Let me reword it. They're late for what we expect. Since we were talking about fisherman and not bugs.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Friday around wellsville counted about a dozen adults hatching ,all fish caught on beadhead rubber legged chartreuse copper john.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts