Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for all you guys on the ark. When should I plan to go down and fish the blanket hatch? Every year I say i'm gonna do it but I don't. I have heard that mother's day is actually the end of the hatch. Is this true? Are the camping spots open around this time? I stayed on the ark once a couple years ago and stayed at the five points campground. Will I be able to camp out? I want to try and take a couple days and try out this "breathe through your teeth" fishing.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Well I have been in the breathe through your teeth caddis hatch and didn't catch a damn thing. You honestly can't see your fly so I move above the hatch 3 or 4 miles and slayed them. Here is a link to an article

http://flyfisherman.com/rmwest/bearkansas/index2.html

I actually am on this guys newletter and he'll send out a progress report every week telling you where the hatch is

http://royalgorgeanglers.com/

Hope that helps...

Fish

·
Registered
21 Posts
Never been on the water during the Caddis Hatch! This will be my first before Mother's Day Caddis Hatch, so wish me luck! See you guys during the run-off. I'm off to be a trout bum for a while.

Peace,

The Rocnesmonsta

·
Registered
153 Posts
if you fish when flies are on the water, go a size or two above the actual fly, its basic biology. with a surplus of food in the water, the fish are going to go after the biggest flies with the smallest amount of effort.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I pick late April - May. If you find the caddis blizzard, get above the hatch and fish a dry dropper with a caddis and a green pupae dropper. I typically catch more fish on the pupae than I do the dry. If you stay upstream of the hatch you'll find more fish that are anticipating the hatch and you'll have more success than when there are a million flies in the air.
When a caddis hatches, it explodes to the surface on a bubble of air, breaks out of its pupae skin a few inches from the surface, and immediately takes to the air. If you fish the pupae, fish it with a lifting action, bringing it off the bottom in steady lifts. You'll catch them fish...I guarantee!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hatchmaster - btw, yes, there are places to camp along the river and you shouldn't find too much competition for spots, especially if you camp during the week.

·
Registered
297 Posts
New from the Arkansas....
I fished Sunday and yes, I'm finding a few caddis here and there. Use a dark green to lime green pupae pattern, size 16. Most of the fish are positioned in the feeding lanes and ready to gobble 'em up! I tried to post a pic, but the tinypics website is down.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts