Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking for a float tube with oars and found this one at Sportsmans and Bass pro - has anyone ever heard of it?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I have an old caddis float tube. One of the cheapo models (Navigator). I got it for about 100 with fins and a rod holder. I have had it for about 10 years and I should get a few more years out of it. I also picked up an old water skeeter personal pontoon with oars and a frame for about the same dough. I like both boats, tubes are a great way to open up a whole lot more water! I love how light the cheapo is for hiking it into lakes. I also like the lower seating position for windy days. My ass and legs in the water slow down how fast the wind can blow me. It kinda sucks when waves start splashing you on the neck and face but I can hold or fight the wind easier than the big pontoon.
The big one I have run down rivers up to class 3.. But never fished more than a class 2. It is nice not having your ass in the water particularly when it is real cold or when you are fishing warm water ponds with submerged and invisible brush and the occasional snapping turtle... The main drawback I have found with the framed boat is getting my flynine tangle in the foot pegs or the oars..... To the point where unless I just have to fish the far side I leave the oars in the truck. One less thing to cause problems.

The inspire does not have the frame so it should have less to hang up on. (Also my water skeeter is probably 20 years old, I am sure the new ones have less stuff to hangup on so it may not be a great example) The seating position is lower but you are not sitting in the water with a nylon sling holding you up and protecting your ass from the submerged brush with the 5 inch jerkbait with the rusty treble hooks and the snapping turtle hanging out to ambush stuff that come near it... At 13 lbs it comes in about 2 lbs heavier than the navigator, i doubt that includes the weight of oars, but without them it is still light enough to pack in. It does have some of the advantages of both boats that I am most fond of.

All in all I have been happy with my caddis tube. Having the ability to get out on the water hands free is awesome. It increases your opportunities tremendously over shore fishing. Well worth the price of admission!

http://www.cabelas.com/product/CADDIS-INSPIRE-LC/2582318.uts

https://www.backcountry.com/caddis-...SVwRwLywX3D_eS7uEP2mujFQkUnLe0kaAj-3EALw_wcB#

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your insight, hadn't thought of the snapping turtles - the inspire sounds like a good one to try. It bothers me that it is no longer on the Caddis web site, but maybe they're just selling the cheapos.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Thanks for your insight, hadn't thought of the snapping turtles -
:rofl:I grew up swimming with snapping turtles and playing in swamps. Never had one try and bite me until I started dragging them out of the water by there tail. I wouldn't worry too much about them just biting you because you are in their territory.

Worry more about the 5 inch rapala in the brush pile you kick over backward. Or the broken line in the weeds with the big ass bait hook.. Nothing like burying a hook in the back of your leg that is on line wrapped around a submerged tree.. Think about how hard it would be to reach the back of your leg or foot in a float tube in water deeper than your waders...>:D:wave:

I have never had any of those happen..

But this summer I was night fishing a local gravel pit in the pontoon and i got a branch caught in the frame straps toward the back of the boat. As I was craning backwards trying to get it loose the seat back broke almost sending me into a brush pile backwards..... That woke me up!

It sounds like a nice tube. I am sure you would love it. Especially if you do not have any other way of getting out on the water. Should be some deals out there this time of year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts