Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have an older CPU. It's a Sony VAIO. I want to use it for the kids, Movies, videos, and basic computer usage. When we play netflix on it it either freezes or goes to a blue screen. When we use it for basic computer stuff, it lags pretty bad. I was thinking about buying more memory for it. Do ya think that would help? The CPU is a Pentium 4 280 GHz with only 248 MB of RAM? Not sure what any of that really means, but I was thinking another 1GB might help. What do you all think?

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
What operating system are you running? And how old? Pentium 4 should be fine for most basic uses...but the RAM is way low. Remember almost 50% of your RAM is used up by the OS...that leaves only 140mbs left for anything else you are doing. And that is almost unheard of low...certainly for movies/streaming netflix. I would put at least a 1GB in there...but a 2GB would be way better.

D.J.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Some of your numbers are obviously wrong (280 GHz, 248MB RAM should perhaps be 2.8GHz and 256MB RAM?), but buying memory is one of the best upgrades you can make for the money. My advice would be to buy some memory and then do a fresh Windows install to try and make it more stable. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I'd up it to 1 gig or 2 gig, defrag the hard drive and delete temp internet files and cookies... should help out.

·
Registered
72 Posts
RAM is great, but you might want to check your specs (manual or reputable internet source) to make sure your mother board and system can handle extra RAM and the configuration (slots) you have available. Some of my old Pentiums were maxed at 1 gb. Good Luck

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
go to www.kingston.com and run the memory finder, it will install and run a simple tool that will not only tell you how much ram you currently have, but also tell you how much MAX RAM you can install along with the bus speed of the ram. it will also link you to buy from them, but I use it just to determine how much a system can take and the bus speed, if you install slower ram than what is currently installed, all of it may run at the slowest speed. Memory upgrades are as easy as spark plugs in a car, fast and easy, but you can't always trust the factory gaps.

Also, being a sony vaio, the pre-install more crap software than any brand I have dealt with! Some of it is fine software, but most of it runs lots of stuff in the background so the programs launch faster, but using up ram. Whatever you do, DO NOT take it to a store for an upgrade, and I am not a NERD I am THE GEEK.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So i just installed 1G more RAM. This thing is flying along nicely now. It was only running on 256MB. It had another 256MB card in it, but was never fully installed. The card was mostly in place but not secured in place, so never really there. I now am running 1.5G. This is actually a decent CPU for the kids! Thanks to all for the info! As always great source right here on the forum!

Jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts