Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to get out fishing this week and after checking the weather over and over again figured today was the best day to go and get out for a few hours anyway. Hit Pueblo until a storm moved in about three..sorry to have had to leave..would have liked to stay longer. Caught some walleyes, some smallies and lost a wiper. Water temps were only 56 degrees. Brought home four between 19 and 20 inches..had a few more that were right at eighteen, but with the cold water and all, I was worried about shrinkage.;) Fun day at the lake.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Good job! It is amazing the pounding that lake has taken in the last week!!

Have you caught a small mouth this year? I have fished there five days ion the last two weeks and haven,t?? Caught a bunch of Spots during the tournament last weekend.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good job! It is amazing the pounding that lake has taken in the last week!!

Have you caught a small mouth this year? I have fished there five days ion the last two weeks and haven,t?? Caught a bunch of Spots during the tournament last weekend.
I caught three of them today..all fat and about 13/14 inches. No live or dead bait used..

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no it's because that toon of his can get where we can't get our boats
Haha...sometimes..but not today. Went down in Jeff's boat. Jeff picked up a few more keepers himself...some shorts and a couple of bass. Started where I'm sure the majority of fishermen were fishing the past week or so..fished there, fish were there but they were pretty locked up..not so sure it was the pressure as much as the multiple fronts that have passed through. Hit up an out of the way smaller spot on a spot that we hadn't been able to fish for a few years...but with the water up..we did well.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Started fishing around 9:30..I think between then and eleven or so a guy could have picked up a bunch of bass if he wanted to fishing a Pop R the way they were hitting the surface. Unusually calm out today until we got off the lake at 3:00. Actually..heaven forbid..we would have liked a bit more wind.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Great job you two! As well as you two know that lake you should of entered the cwa tourney you might have won!...

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Looking at the results it looks like about 8 teams out of 34 got limits both days...Kooser finished 4th!...with all the shad in Pueblo it seems like a disapointing lake at times size wise...you would think with its size and forage it would own all of the catfish records for the state...2.63 and 3.54 were the big walleyes saturday and sunday...nice work by the big fish winners on Sunday...they donated their big fish winnings to Ron Lowry...who is recovering from surgery...get well Ron!...

http://cowalleye.com/Tournaments/2015Points2PuebloResults.aspx

·
P I K E
10,116 Posts
Way to go guys!!! Good job!!!

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Way to go sir(s)!

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looking at the results it looks like about 8 teams out of 34 got limits both days...Kooser finished 4th!...with all the shad in Pueblo it seems like a disapointing lake at times size wise...you would think with its size and forage it would own all of the catfish records for the state...2.63 and 3.54 were the big walleyes saturday and sunday...nice work by the big fish winners on Sunday...they donated their big fish winnings to Ron Lowry...who is recovering from surgery...get well Ron!...
Congrats to Dave for finishing fourth..Nice job!

Truthfully, I'd say the state record channel cat is swimming in Pueblo Mark...I don't think very many people target them regularly there. It's a big lake by Colorado standards with miles of shoreline, timber, bushes..tons of structure..a lot of it difficult to impossible to fish effectively. So many places for fish to hide.

The fish I filleted yesterday were all males. Not a bad average size for males. Strategically, I could see the problem with targeting big fish in a tourney at Pueblo. As close as the standings were, you get one over twenty one and it's going in the live well. Your buddy gets another and you're now just wanting to fill a limit. Shoot, two days of just legal limits with none over 21 could put you in the money.

Plenty of big fish in Pueblo..but the night bite is better for large fish ..as it is in most lakes. Even with two to three million park visits a year..the place is deserted at night. Also, once the baby shad move out into the lake..I think the larger eyes suspend and roam the open water much like wipers..and just follow the balls of shad ...eating whenever they please...not really relating to structure.

One hint for anyone looking to target large eyes or cats at Pueblo..Wait until the baby swallows get ready to fly. It all takes place over a time span of a week or so..Fish the cliffs under the nests ...a lot of them don't make a successful flight when they're pushed out of the nest and the larger cats and eyes are there below the nests looking for an easy meal.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I've been wanting to get out for some eyes but was worried the weather would really slow the bite. I finally have a little free time tonight after exams and stuff so thinking about heading out.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I've been wanting to get out for some eyes but was worried the weather would really slow the bite. I finally have a little free time tonight after exams and stuff so thinking about heading out.
Yesterday the bites were all real subtle..just a slight tic on the drop..or you'd see the line move sideways on the fall. I think the weather had something to do with that.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts