Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a camera, would like a VEX but on Saturday I think the camera helped me more than a VEX would have. I actually watched fish pick a lure off the bottom and watching how they reacted to different lures helped me dial in a pattern.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
In some situations a camera will do...... But not if the water does not have good clarity and/or you are fishing deep. The other down side to a camera is the cable has to hang all the way down(on a vex it has to be what 2" below the ice) to the depth of your jig.. that increases the chance you can/will get wrapped up in the cable.

I actually had a fish wrap up in my HDS cable a couple weekends ago and cut the outer protective layer :(

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree, the camera has a 50' cable and it was maxed out several times Saturday and trying to turn it is a PITA at depth but I feel it helped me dial in a pattern better than a vex would have.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I actually had a fish wrap up in my HDS cable a couple weekends ago and cut the outer protective layer :([/QUOTE]

That's a tough one to fix too, cause the cable is flexible and exposed to extreme temps. I fixed my Vex transducer cable with Shoe Goo and it's held up for a couple of seasons. Could try Marine Goop also. :)

·
Registered
16,613 Posts
I used to use my Camera at Atown for several years cause it all i had. The cable is no problem when catching perch or crappies cause you just crane 'em in. But the walleyes or trout always got wrapped up in the cable. Many days I would NOT have caught perch without the camera because they would suck in the minnow or lure and spit it out without ever moving the light-wire indicators I use. When I saw them inhale I just did a tuna hook set and drag em up!

Plus the cable can suck when its really cold out if ya move around much. Your gloves will get all wet so ya need to have waterproof ones for the cable work-

·
Registered
902 Posts
i think a camera would be ideal for shallow fishing like antero etc. my back hates sight fishing all day. but thats my favorite part of ice fishing. i would also be able to find my phone if i had a camera. i punched like 20 holes looking for my phone i dropped down the hole. i think weeds might have covered it up.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have both and rarely use the camera anymore. I like being able to see the whole water column. frequently even lakers will be up 10-20 feet off the bottom. I also always have a rod ready for any kok's that come thru. real one up and drop it to get one !
I learned a lot about lakers at Granby watching them. like frequently they will tail slap the jig before biting it. pretty cool to watch !
like using the camera for perch to take the jig from the little ones and let the bigger ones take it in....

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
use liquid electrical tape from walmart to try to fix your cable. its strong and semi flexable, should do you up. i use it on my boat trailer wires to waterproofem.

i beleive sometimes a camera distracts the fish from the lure presentation. then as well there are times i wish i had one..
im going to save my $1.oo and get a mini camera, iirc aquaview. about the size of a gps or phone, and small camera. like you said seeing them react to your cadence can be the difference between catching and missing hits all day.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The camera was sweet today!! Watching the fish react or not to movement or not. A couple of fish got very aggressive with the camera and watching crawdads trying to eat the bait and knowing it wasn't fish we were missing. Think I will get a vex and use both

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I have both and rarely use the camera. Once you start using a flasher you can learn to identify what each mark is by how it shows up and moves. I would choose a flasher over a camera every time! Jm2c

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
I know what you mean by pattern, it's like actually looking down the hole at 11-mile and seeing how the fish react to the bait, it opened up my openwater game at 11-mile bigtime.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts