Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a new used truck and am going to put a pop up on it. Been looking at tie down systems. I'm upgrading from a pop-up I had on a Ford Ranger where I spent $300 on a belly bar and found out that not only do I loose ground clearance but the drive shaft was hitting the bar when I hit a bump (waste of money). I ended up customizing something for it Ranger.

For the new vehicle, I would prefer not to drill holes with a Happy Jac system. Tork Lift has a system that would cost me $400 for front and rear and it looks like I'd loose ground clearance (going to go on an F250 Super Duty with an off road package - can't lose ground clearance). I'm leaning towards the stake pocket tie downs at $100 per set of 4 - I know they are very popular but I've never used them.

Was wondering if anyone could recommend one thing over another. Any experiences you'd like to share?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
for me personaly i dont like to tie to the bed (stake pockets) but go straight to the frame

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On the Ranger, I shoved square tubing into both sides of the rear hitch and added eye bolts. In the front, I just used turn buckles on the tie downs in the bed. Worked very well and was very affordable. I guess that would be half frame, half bed. Was hoping I could do something a little more mainstream without having to spend that much on the tie downs.

·
P I K E
10,081 Posts
     Mr. ED....I went through this last year on my Silverado. I went with the happyjack because of the sturdability,didn't mind the holes for the safety.No salesman will tell you but the stake hole fasteners are bad for the newer trucks since they are basically all composit,they tend to tweak the beds and start to separate at all the joints.This info comes from a ford body repairman! I have a friend with the kind that come out from underneath the bed from the frame and she says they are a pain in the shins most of the time!!!   LOL...
   Good luck & cya on the water

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TthePikester said:
the stake hole fasteners are bad for the newer trucks since they are basically all composit,they tend to tweak the beds and start to separate at all the joints.
I've heard something similar about the stake hole type but wanted to confirm what I heard. The belly bar I had on the Ranger definately won't work (drive shaft issues). I've heard the happy jack type can tear up the truck as well though (been surfing rv.net) by tweaking the body. When I was a teen, my dad had the type that fixed in the bed under the cabinets but he doesn't remember what brand they were - the truck already has an in-bed 5th wheel hitch so I'm not sure that is even an option. My big concern is I have a habit of getting stuck and I have a habit of driving on things like sand at Big Mac. I need all the clearance I can get!!! (NOTE - THIS HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH MR. ED'S DRIVING HABITS) :D

·
Registered
699 Posts
if i remember there was a system available for you fifth wheel guys that mounted on the bottom of the camper and had a peice that replaced the hitch just slides right into place and another option is something i say in az i can draw it up for you and it works grate just requieres 2 small stlits in the bed sides to do lt me know with and email or pm the email addy is [email protected]

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
azbassernco said:
if i remember there was a system available for you fifth wheel guys that mounted on the bottom of the camper and had a peice that replaced the hitch just slides right into place
That would be perfect. Thanks for the heads up - I'll look around for something like that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts