Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
later this spring or mid summer, I want to take my family to the mountains to do some camping and fishing.
Does anyone have any suggestions on where a good place to go for fishing and camping?

thanks!
john

·
Registered
127 Posts
red feateher lakes are good. Trout are abundant for kids, also nice place to camp and hike.

M

·
0 Posts
Your experience is probably dependent on your experience...

How rugged are you willing to go and how rugged are your wife and kids willing to go?

I like Williams Fork. Camping is primitive for the most part (bring your own water and there are pit toilets) but it's rarely over-saturated and the folks are decent for the most part. Expect thunderstorms that time of year in the afternoon (and don't be surprised to see snow or hail).

The Grand Lake area is fun but can get crowded. The 4th of July fireworks show is pretty popular. Campgrounds are reservable and it can get just as wild as any other campground (loud music, people partying at all hours, etc., etc.). If you try to hide from the crowds and camp in amongst the ATV trails, it can get noisy (I had a friend that drove me up the walls because she can't handle ATV noise). I've seen some folks pack thier tent on the boat and camp in the bays at Lake Granby but I've never done this so I can't speak much about it. Expect thunderstorms that time of year in the afternoon (and don't be surprised to see snow or hail). This is probably the best bet if your family isn't used to roughing it. You can find campgrounds with showers and all facilities.

Blue Mesa Reservoir is fun but can get crowded as well. It can also get very windy in the afternoons. There are a ton of campgrounds and there is some National Forest you can camp on. Blue Mesa has full facilities as well but if you go before Memorial Day, I'd call about the showers first (they may still be winterized)

Elevenmile can be fun but can also be VERY crowded. I've also heard horror stories from multiple sources about the rangers (I haven't had a problem personally).

Check out the Colorado Tourism websites - generally there are a lot of pretty good ideas. The DOW website also has some good ideas.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I really like the scenery around Jefferson. The lake is only an hour or so for Denver. From my expirence the lake won't ice off until late May or early June so it can still be cold up there in early summer. Lots of lake trout and bows. Two years ago me and my friends got into six lakers that all went better than 10 lbs. The largest was 39" and about 23 lbs. Lots of hiking and close to other fishing as well.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Yampa,

Every 4th of July we all go to Yampa south of Steamboat. The sites are $3.00 per night with all rustic sites. Their is water at the bear lake camp ground and State run out houses. Their are 3 lakes located close together. The camping is 11 miles from the town of Yampa. Take I-70 to Wolcott then go north to Yampa turn left at the Conoco station. Their are alot of small lakes that can be hiked to and stream fishing. When my boys and their friends get tired of fishing they play paintball.
Trout include Brookies, Browns, Rainbows and Cutthroat. It does get below freezing at night even in July.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I can usually be found at Twin Lakes over the 4rth of July, I usually wait until August to do my higher mountian camping because it still gets below 30 degrees up there even in August. :-\

·
Registered
674 Posts
Yampacola and the Flattops is a beautiful area but it is about 3 hours from Denver. I posted some pics of this place in an earlier topic. Definetly worth the time and there are tons of fishing opportunities within a short drive of there.

·
Registered
189 Posts
For family camping and good fishing it is hard to beat Steamboat Lake State Park.
The shore fishing is usually very good in June and early July.
Try wooly buggers, irresistibles, brown rooster tails,rapalas, gold crocodiles and orange power bait if you are a bait dunker.
Fish the coves at Meadow Point or Rainbow Ridge for good action from shore.
As the weather warms, fish early and late for best success.
The scenery and campgrounds there are great.
There are showers, trails and lots of wildlife.
This is one of my favorite fishing and camping spots in Colorado.
Perfect for a family trip.
See you there!

Thumper

·
Registered
749 Posts
You could try Shadow Mountain Res. It is between Grandby and Grand LAke and the campsites are nicely covered by trees. You can easly fish all 3 lakes.

·
Registered
542 Posts
A ton of good camping and GREAT fishing at Grand Lake,Shadow Mtn.<Granby.Dont overlook Willow Creek Res.Nice sites,claen and comfortable.See ya ther.I'll be the whit Durango.Happy campin

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Chief said:
You could try Shadow Mountain Res. It is between Grandby and Grand LAke and the campsites are nicely covered by trees.  You can easly fish all 3 lakes. 
My neighbor said this is where he wants to go. However, he added that normally you need at least 3 months early reservation. Is that the case?

There are some great ideas for places to go. I think I might try a place that has a facility nearby to allow us access to bathrooms/showers/etc.
After that, we will try some of the other places that require a little more "roughing it" 8)

·
Registered
431 Posts
My neighbor said this is where he wants to go. However, he added that normally you need at least 3 months early reservation. Is that the case?
The Down side, yes its true I make mine a the first part of the year, if you dont they are gopne come late Jan-early Feb.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Our family likes camping up at Rabbit Mountain above Steamboat Springs. We fish Walton Creek, Dumont, and Muddy lake. Muddy is full of stockers. Dumont has stockers and some nice ones, and the creeks are full of brookies. When you get dirty, you just load up and go spend some time at the hot springs pool in Steamboat! Kids love it! Wildflowers are awesome too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Do you know if reservations are needed for this place?

I found out my sister is a bit of a whimp and wont sleep in a tent so I am taking a 20ft camper for the girls.  The guys are gonna sleep in a tent.

Looks like this is the area to try...
Steamboat is pretty much all booked up. I called and they have Arnica open but it is a "less desirable". I am open to other suggestions if anyone has 'em.

thanks!
john

Thumper said:
For family camping and good fishing it is hard to beat Steamboat Lake State Park.
The shore fishing is usually very good in June and early July.
Try wooly buggers, irresistibles, brown rooster tails,rapalas, gold crocodiles and orange power bait if you are a bait dunker.
Fish the coves at Meadow Point or Rainbow Ridge for good action from shore.
As the weather warms, fish early and late for best success.
The scenery and campgrounds there are great.
There are showers, trails and lots of wildlife.
This is one of my favorite fishing and camping spots in Colorado.
Perfect for a family trip.
See you there!

Thumper

1 - 18 of 18 Posts