Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would love your recommendations on great camping and fishing in Colorado. I am not looking for your secret spots where you find the largest fish, I just want some really good experiences with my grandkids (2&6 yrs) this summer. We have a large truck, large tent, kayaks (yes PFDs for all). I am burnt on St Vrain and would like some ideas. We are in Westminster and willing to travel for 2-3 night stay. We really want to show them the beauty of Colorado and how much fun it is to fish. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Living on the westernslope of Colorado I can't give you any ideas of areas east of the Rockies. However, if you aren't adverse to a bit of travel there are several family friendly lakes here on the western slope. Miramonte Lake just south of Norwood and even a bit further south Groundhog Lake. Both would require a bit of travel but are camping and family friendly. Groundhog has a nice store located at the lake while Miramonte has better camping but no amenities. However a short drive (relatively) down to Norwood and you can pick up anything you want. The drive down and back only takes about an hour.

I would recommend Blue Mesa but not sure it is that safe for small kids. However it does have plenty of camping but not sure how you feel about kids, kayaks, and speedboats all mixing. Just some ideas if you are wanting to travel a bit.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I also agree with Red Feathers.

One place I always wanted to try was Longdraw Reservoir. Has a nice road along the north side of the lake with easy accessible fishing and a few camping spots. Not sure if it has any fish, but its a lake I always wished I would have hit when I lived on the front range.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
O'haver Lake near Salida, Cottonwood Lake on Cottonwood Pass, Clear Creek Reservoir near Leadville (free camping), Lake Irwin above Crested Butte (free camping go during peak wild flower season.), Turquoise Lake near Leadville or Lathrop state park near Walsenburg are all great places to take young kids and kayaks.

I'd also recommend Pueblo Reservoir South Shore Marina camping. The no wake area in Boggs cove is great for kayaks.

If you're willing to drive further, Platora Reservoir (lake side free camping) near Conejos is absolutely beautiful...and you can hit the Great Sand Dunes while heading there or back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts