Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16,690 Posts
You must define the word "close".Close to me is 2.5 hrs.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
im not from up there but i think i saw a spot "saint vrain" and it looked like camping and fishing both stream and pond/lake i saw it drive ing down 25 i think it was around denver not shure though can someone clarify?

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
man depending on what part of denver you live in, with traffic and all that will barlly get you out of the metro area? lol

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
That is St Vrain State Park.  Formerly known as Barbour Ponds.

They are currently renovating the park, lots of construction and a couple of the ponds where fenced off the last time I was there.  If you camp you get a lot of noise from the highway.  Toilet facilities are vault toilets and no showers.

I have gone there a couple of times for a quick get away with the kids but its not the best scenario.

Depending on how far you are willing to drive and where you are located I would make these suggestions.

From Denver Metro.

Jackson Lake,  about 1.5 hours/Northeast from Central Denver.  Latest fishing reports indicate some wiper and catfish activity.

Chatfield Reservoir, Campground is far enough from highways to deaden sounds,  can't see alot of stars because of city lights,  close enough in case you forgot something. Very little shade in campground.  Very slow for all species.

Cherry Creek, very similar to Chatfield though there is alot of noise from Parker Road and more shade.  Uncertain how it is fishing right now.

Union Reservoir,  never camped there but seems to have a decent campground, with shade.  Some light polution from longmont.  Not certain how the fishing currently is.

Hope this gives some ideas.

Dan

·
Registered
107 Posts
maestasj
I would look at South Park area. Take 285 west past bailley and drop over Tenessee pass. Head south from there and you have a world of georgeous streams to fish and camp near. Then you are just a quick jaunt from Spinney or 11 mile.
Craig

·
Registered
16,690 Posts
There is some decent fishing and camping off of fall river road past idaho springs.Fall river reservoir,chinns lake,loch lomond are the main ones.Lots of free camping,a 4x4 is almost a must.Guanella pass has high lakes for a 2-3 mile hike,also a stream.Free camping on the south (Grant) side.South platte river from deckers downstream to strontia springs has decent trout but camping is a little iffy. Get out the maps and you will find many places.When you find an area or lake you like get on the internet and research that area.Amazing what you can find-

·
Registered
636 Posts
Depending on how fast you drive, you can make it to Red Feathers west of Fort Collins in a little over two hours from metro Denver. If you don't want to drive quite that far there is Carter Lake and Pinewood west of Loveland which offer camping. I know Pinewood costs $13 per night plus a $7 entrance fee. If you want warmwater fish, I would say Jackson or Pueblo. There are tons of places you can go to but these are just some that I like where you will almost always catch fish but you have to pay.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts