Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

What's your favorite place for a long weekend of camping and fishing? No wife, no kids, just fish!

I'm wanting to hit some new water this year on my fishing kayak. I've never been to Elevenmile, for example. I'm looking to hook into some good sized fish (trout, pike, walleye, bass...whatever). Preferably within four hours of Denver.

I don't expect to hear about your secret hot spots (but that'd be cool too ;D), just an idea of where I can relax and get into some fish for a weekend out of town.

Thanks!
Lip Ripper

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
If you're into warm water fishing, I've always liked Bonny Reservoir a little north of Burlington CO.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Get ready for wind when you go down to 11mile!  Willow creek is always a nice place to paddle.  So is Rampart reservoir.  Not many boats on either one from what Ive seen.  A really nice little lake for trout, walleye, white bass, etc. is just up I-76 in Nebraska just below Lake Mcconahaugy(sp).  It is called Lake Ogalalla.  The fishing is pretty good, fish are good sized, and their camping places are well maintained and inexpensive.  The best thing is that most people seem to forget about the smaller lake and just get drunk and drive their boats/jetskis around on Big Mac.  My "secret" about this lake:  paddle up near the bouys by the inlet when they let the water thru the dam.  Its a pretty cool sight and the fishing gets lots better when the water is shooting out.  

·
Registered
542 Posts
Beware at Glendo-Do NOT camp at Sandy Beach.The devil lives there!Willow Creek and Grand Lake are real hard to beat.Teal Lake is a wonderous site to behold.Its right on the edge of Mt.Zirkle wilderness area,southeast of Walden.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Rocky Mountain Nation Park would be good for scenery and ok size trout... 11 mile and Spinney better chance for big trout and pike.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Lip Ripper said:
Hey guys,

What's your favorite place for a long weekend of camping and  fishing?  No wife, no kids, just fish!

I'm wanting to hit some new water this year on my fishing kayak.  I've never been to Elevenmile, for example.  I'm looking to hook into some good sized fish (trout, pike, walleye, bass...whatever).  Preferably within four hours of Denver.

I don't expect to hear about your secret hot spots (but that'd be cool too ;D), just an idea of where I can relax and get into some fish for a weekend out of town.

Thanks!
Lip Ripper
if you are strapping that kyack to a good 4wd, i would strongly recomend loche lomand above alice north of idaho springs. there are lakers there, and if you get a wild hair you could hike to the higher lakes and fish for brookies and cuts. nice, peace and quiet.

epic suggested RMNP, and although i love it, there are only a couple lakes you can drive to (i'm just thinking you don't want to be climbing mountains with that kyak on your back), and those lakes are at busy trailheads.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
john the fisherman said:
epic suggested RMNP, and although i love it, there are only a couple lakes you can drive to (i'm just thinking you don't want to be climbing mountains with that kyak on your back), and those lakes are at busy trailheads.
Yeah I didnt really think about that, you could always get a llama to carry it for you though. :p

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
What I like to do is camp lakeside-just beach the boat. There are places where they will let you do this as long as you are not acting like a yahoo. Most "formal" campgrounds are waaaay too far from the water-like the ones at Pueblo or Lathrop. For that "on the water" experience I'd recommend Deweese or Sanchez down south here.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Eleven mile has a primative camp area that is boat in or walk in only.
I take my canoe and A tent.

Camps are real close to the water and its a short paddle East of the North Shore Marina.

Sanchez is good if the water is happy.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Jackson has spots right on the water. The best time to be there is when the inlet is flowing, usually in the spring and early summer. My boys and I went there last June on a sunday, Monday, Tuesday. Not a lot of other folks around and we fished at night from the tent while we played trivial pursuit.

Dan

PS, bring plenty of bug spray to Jackson

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the ideas.

I appreciate it. Haven't decided yet, gonna look into these different places first.

Anybody else have their favorites?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
stagecoach. decent camp areas right next to the water, great fishing for trout and pike, and the wind isn't too awful for a canoe in some of the coves.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Lake Henery and Meredith, let you camp right at waters edge which is always nice... alot of the southern and southeastern lakes are good like that to.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
the white river is GREAT fishing and beautiful. The only problem is little public access. It has huge rainbows, browns, cutts, cutbows, and brookies. I caught several bows of around 7 pounds, and lost many a fish bigger. Also lost a brown that had to be 15#. My dad caught some huge 8 pound browns. My dad's friend caught several cutts of 4-5 pounds including this bad boy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts