Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little over a week ago I posted that I'd be taking my little brother and some of his friends camping in the Indian Peaks area, then it was changed to Gross Reservoir. Well he found out that his girlfriend was having a coed birthday party and bailed on me (can't say I blame him), so we moved the trip to June 5th/6th. I've done some research on Gross and there doesn't seem to be a lot of good camping around the reservoir, so I'm thinking about 'The Park' instead. I was hoping to get some suggestions on a good spot to camp at. I'm looking for a site near stillwater, but a good stream of too close by would be nice. Sorry for the lengthy post.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After some reading and asking around, I've been steered in the direction of Willow Creek Reservoir (not actually in 'The Park') just west of Granby Res. Has anyone been here? I'm wondering if it's worth taking the canoes?

·
Registered
991 Posts
I've fished Willow Creek before and it's pretty nice. You could certainly get a canoe out on it. Another place you might consider is Arapaho Bay area of Granby. It's at the back end of Granby with Monarch LAke up above it and the river between.

M

·
0 Posts
tangledleader said:
After some reading and asking around, I've been steered in the direction of Willow Creek Reservoir (not actually in 'The Park') just west of Granby Res. Has anyone been here? I'm wondering if it's worth taking the canoes?
I haven't fished it in a few years. Drove by it on Weds. It may be worth a look - definately a place where you could get the canoes out. Campground did look decent and clean - I noticed that most of the campgrounds in the Arapahoe National Forest this year are managed by Thousand Trails- they have a reputation for keeping things orderly and clean.

If you do decide on the Grand Lake area, one thing I'd advise is that they are pulling beetle kill out of the campgrounds very aggressively this year. Green Ridge Complex on Shadow Mountain was cleaned out last week and there are many sites in there that don't have any trees or shade at all. I bet there were some folks that are pretty disappointed after making their reservation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts