Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any places where you can camp 'right on the shore' of a lake or river or stream???

Thanx

-Jay

·
Registered
594 Posts
We were in Steamboat this weekend and went to Stagecoach Res for lunch. Camping very close to the water (50 feet or so). Nice lake, but I have not heard what the weather or fishing is like...
left_turn56

·
Registered
804 Posts
Jay, there are a ton of primitive campsites next to streams and lakes. The problem being that they should of been built farther away to prevent water contamination. The ones I know of primarily exist in Wilderness areas such as the Flat Tops, Eagles Nest  and so on. I still use them because its a lot less damaging to use a preexisting camping spot than building a new one in my opinion. I am just careful about what I do with my grey water as not to contaminate anything. Were you looking for any area in particular?

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
11-Mile has boat in campsites. I have never seen them so I don't know how close they are to the water. Also Jackson reservoir has spots that are right close to the water, there are generally trees between the campsite and the water but I would guess less than 50 feet. You might try some of the State Wildlife Areas that allow camping. I think you could get right next to the water at a lot of them.

Anybody know of any SWAs that are like that? Nice thing also about them (SWA's is they are often an underexploited resource for fishing)

Dan

·
Registered
30 Posts
Jay;
I see people camping right on the shore at Green Mountain Reservoir (it is between Kremmling and Silverthore), when I've driven past in the summer time.

I don't know this for fact but I've been told that you can camp right on the shore at Williams Fork Reservoir (it is south of Kremmling).

Noluck

·
Registered
804 Posts
Jay, if you want to get away from the crowds you need to head on over to the Western Slope. The farther West you go the less people. Have you ever been on the Grand Mesa? Around 300 lakes and reservoirs. You can find solitude if thats what you like!

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OURAY said:
Jay, if you want to get away from the crowds you need to head on over to the Western Slope. The farther West you go the less people. Have you ever been on the Grand Mesa? Around 300 lakes and reservoirs. You can find solitude if thats what you like!

As long as my fat a$$ doesn't have to hike alot, I may have a heart attack!!! :)

-Jay

·
Registered
804 Posts
LOL! No, thats whats nice about the Grand Mesa you can drive into a lot of areas. A four wheel drive is helpful but not necessary for all of them. If you ever decide to go PM me and I can give you some suggestions.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Freerange said:
OURAY, hey I'm new around here so don't laugh to hard, but where is the Grand Mesa?
Just East of Grand Junction, but dont plan on going any time soon. The roads are still snow packed. Could be first part of July before all areas are accessable.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Jay-The primitive campsites at 11 Mile that you can boat or hike into are about 35 yds. from the lake-not bad but I'm like you, I wish there were more places where you could camp along the shore. That way you could put out a rod at night and fish right at your campsite. I guess they put the campsite away from the water because they're worried about contamination. At Navajo Res across the border in NM I have camped within ft. of the water-the park rangers even visited me and never said anything but hi so I guess its OK. Its real nice to camp right at the water edge. Ed

·
Registered
32 Posts
You can drive your boat back into the coves at Horsetooth and they will let you camp on the bank but you cannot hike or drive back there.

T

·
0 Posts
chambers lake up the poudre canyon is a nice option. you can camp almost on the shore in more than a few spots.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Both the lakes I went to this last weekend had everyone camping there right on the waters edge. Lake Henry and Lake Meredith.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
The grand mesa has a lot of places, but if you are looking for good fishing you'll usually have to hike. There is one hike, although around 10,500 ft. in elevation, is extremely easy. It is the hike to leon lake. (and you can drive to this lake if you have a strong vehicle, but the hike is so much easier and faster.) Drive to weir and johnson which is 2 wheel drive, and follow the trail to leon lake. It is neatly marked. Make sure you don't pick leon peaks reservoir. It is a flat trail roughly .8 miles to the lake, and the lake has what I call trophy brook trout, 12-15" average, with common fish into the high teens and maybe hitting the 20" mark. They are also the best eating brookies around. you may only see 1 or 2 people a day at leon, that little short hike really makes a lot of people not want to fish it, instead they all fish weir and johnson.
That is just one lake on the mesa where you can find solitude, fantastic fishing, and free camping near the water at the same time. Most of the lakes will be a bi**h to drive to though, and many of them don't have fish anymore. Pick your place on the mesa with great care. PM me if you are coming over, and maybe I can give you a few extra places ouray forgot to mention---but I doubt it. LOL.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Any particular area that you were thinking of going to Jay?

I bought a book last winter called Colorado Campgrounds, The 100 Best and All the Rest  I got it from Barnes and Noble.

Swing by there and take a look at it, it might give you some ideas.

Dan

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Jay

Backcountry Campground on Corral Cove on Elevenmile is a boat in/hike in campground...I have caught a lot of fish in that cove...you can load up your boat with gear and drive it right up to shore...903 and especially 904 were pretty cool if I remember correctly...

http://parks.state.co.us/images/content/documents/11 Mile Map-Backcountry742.pdf

At Steamboat I have stayed on Bridge Island...spacious...trees and I was able to pull my canoe up so I know you could get your boat and gear up there...I dont remember which space but I believe it was 185, 186, 187, or 188...it was one of the best camping experiences I have had...

http://parks.state.co.us/images/content/documents/Steam-Flyer1150.pdf

Dowdy Campground by Red Feather has almost lake shore campsites...fish usually arent huge but are willing...there is a channel that runs next to the two twin Islands on the east side of them that holds trout...Loop C sites 14,15, 18, 19...with 19 being the primo one...some are within 50 feet of shore with an unobstructed view of your boat...it has trees also...

http://www.reserveamerica.com/jsp/commonpage.jsp?goto=/nrrs/co/dowd/newindex.html

Lake John  and the Delaneys...primitive but you can camp right along their shores anywhere...bring your own drinking water...East Delaney you can camp right next to the boat ramp and not have anybody there on some weekends....the fish arent as big as the other lakes but are very willing...June has an unreal Damselfly hatch...there isnt any shade...but fish are huge in these lakes...

Big Creek Lake Campground has lakeside spots...it is a ways away if you have more than a couple of days...spots 1, 2, 4, 5 and 7 seem to be lakeside...check out this hodge podge of fish species in the lake...grayling, trout, mackinaw and tiger muskies!!!

http://www.reserveamerica.com/jsp/commonpage.jsp?goto=/nrrs/co/bigl/newindex.html
Hope that helps!

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
You can camp in some of the back coves at Granby, no people to bother you. Thought about doing this during hunting season.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts