Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all

This might be a tough request, but I'm looking for a camping area up in the mountains that can fit my wife's family and I, that's also on, or very close to, a lake/river/stream/etc. to fish at.

We live in Fort Collins, and some of her family members aren't, what you might call, robust outdoor people, so if we could keep the suggestions within 1.5-2 hours of Fort Collins that would be appreciated.

I haven't camped in this area much, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Sounds like an establish campground at granby and/or shadow mountain would be a good option. Or you could go to north park as well.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What type of camping? Primitive, Guided, Flush Toilets, Continental Breakfasts? Free? Expensive? Cold, warm, buggy?
Need toilets for some of the members on this trip. I believe someone is bringing a camper, but normal tent/car camping for the rest of us.

We're looking at going in August, if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Try Dowdy Lake or West Lake in Red Feathers. Pretty area, fishing and hiking from camp, but busy on the weekends. Only vault toilets.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I've been lucky when getting reservations. If you have a campground and weekend you have in mind check daily and usually something opens up if you are a tent camper.

Trailer camping is not as easy to find openings but if you have the flexibility to camp Mon-Thurs you should be alright.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I suggest the Cache La Poudre River area. It's right outside of Ft. Collins, lots of campgrounds along the canyon and, if you want, you can go all the way to Chambers Lake.

I made a trip up there with the family about 10 years ago. The river fishing was pretty good and I made a day trip that weekend to Chambers that was productive.

Watch out for the bears.

·
Registered
48 Posts
What type of camping? Primitive, Guided, Flush Toilets, Continental Breakfasts? Free? Expensive? Cold, warm, buggy?

Poudre is very close to you. Has campgrounds along the river with vaulted toilets. The higher up you go the cooler it will be and less people. Dave M mention the Snowy range (Wyoming) I don't know about the fishing there, never fished it. But it is little known area that is VERY scenic.
Poudre Cons- No Continental Breakfast or pizza delivery. Coloradans are primative savages of the worst order.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Try St. Vrain State Park in Longmont. It is about 45 minutes from you. There are several ponds there and good for fishing, especially with kids. Great wildlife and trails. Bathrooms are kept clean and there is a shower facility as well (bring quarters). There are a good variety of fish in all the ponds. On average we would catch 30+ per day (released) and it was great to teach our granddaughter to fish. There are pads for trailers, allowed two cars + trailer + 1 tent per site, so depending on how big your group is, you may have to rent two spots. We enjoyed it, it will be busier on weekends than weekdays, so I would target weekdays, you will more likely get a space. We went 9 weekends in 2014 and 6 weekends last year and had to make our summer reservations in January. So if you can adjust your schedule you will more thank likely get a spot on weekdays. Also, you can kayak or use inflatables which can make the trip a bit more fun. Lots of osprey, white pelicans, blue herons, night herons and more. One pond is no live bait and C&R only, and there are some huge bass in there. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Try St. Vrain State Park in Longmont. It is about 45 minutes from you. There are several ponds there and good for fishing, especially with kids. Great wildlife and trails. Bathrooms are kept clean and there is a shower facility as well (bring quarters). There are a good variety of fish in all the ponds. On average we would catch 30+ per day (released) and it was great to teach our granddaughter to fish. There are pads for trailers, allowed two cars + trailer + 1 tent per site, so depending on how big your group is, you may have to rent two spots. We enjoyed it, it will be busier on weekends than weekdays, so I would target weekdays, you will more likely get a space. We went 9 weekends in 2014 and 6 weekends last year and had to make our summer reservations in January. So if you can adjust your schedule you will more thank likely get a spot on weekdays. Also, you can kayak or use inflatables which can make the trip a bit more fun. Lots of osprey, white pelicans, blue herons, night herons and more. One pond is no live bait and C&R only, and there are some huge bass in there. Hope this helps.
Absolute BEST first post ever!!!
Informative, helpful and friendly... Well done MydnytBlu and welcome to the site!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts