Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
come on some one must have some info on this is it legal to just find a [place along a river and pull up and camp for a day or two and are small camp fires allowed or if you know of some nice places that this is okay please let me know is it still legal to camp on the south platte river at deckers i think that is the platte? used to camp  there all the time along the river  about ten years ago . but they were having trouble with teenagers tearing the place up and there was talk of making camping illegal.

any one been there lately and know  anything has it recovered from the fire and is fishing some what normal again used to camp  above the chutes

·
Registered
281 Posts
I used to go there years ago myself tubed thru the chutes. heve not been back since the streched the cable across all the camping areas.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I hesitated to respond as I'm not 100% sure..I don't think you can camp down there anymore. Sorry. I hope I'm wrong for your sake.

The only thing I've heard is how lousy the fishing is since the Hayman fire. Maybe this is the rumor being spread by the folks that are hammering the fish - who knows. But I don't think my buddy would blow smoke about this.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
myboysrmyheart,

Sorry for the delayed response. I wouldn't recommend just pulling up to any river or creek, but if you're on National Forest land, it should be fine. Just try to find out if there are any fire restrictions in that particular area. A nice place that I like to go camp at which is a 2 hr drive from the metro area is up at Gore Pass which is a little NW of Kremmling. We just go out and find a creek that's got some fish, parking space, area that's flat enough to hold a few tents and stay over a few nights. Do that at least once a summer. Haven't gone up there for about two years now though.

The last two years, I've done camping on the Rampart Range because it's closer and some of the camp's cars can't make it to Gore Pass. But it's definitely more scenic and beautiful at Gore Pass, plus you're ACTUALLY AWAY from people.

·
Registered
804 Posts
If its public land (US Forest or BLM) you can camp there unless they have place special restrictions on it. If they have, they generally post them, but if in doubt get a hold of the field office that is in charge of that area and they will let you know. You can have a camp fire unless a fire ban was put in place. Here is a link that will show fireban restrictions. http://www.dola.state.co.us/oem/PublicInformation/firebans/firebans.htm

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
I found this information on the US Forest Service website. For more specific information call the USFS. Let them know where you want to go and they can give you the number for the right Ranger District to find out specific regs.

I drove through Deckers coming back from 11 mile last year, went up hiway 67 to Sedalia. Some areas were burnt some were not. Lots of new undergrowth, grasses and wildflowers were growing in the burnt areas.

From the USFS websight

Dispersed Camping Information

Dispersed camping can be in either numbered designated sites or in non-designated sites. When camping in non-designated sites, the general rule is to be 100 feet from water and trails. If you are staying the night in a recreational vehicle, pull to the side of the road so you do not block traffic (but not far enough to cause damage to vegetation and wildlife habitat). Some areas in the forest are closed to dispersed camping, so check postings carefully. Please respect private landowners. Please remember to take your garbage, and leave everything in as natural state as possible. A forest map is very useful in showing the main roads, forest roads, private land, trails and other main features

The regional office in Golden

USDA Forest Service
Rocky Mountain Region
740 Simms St
Golden, CO 80401
303-275-5350

Dan

T

·
0 Posts
try looking at this site - it may at least give you some idea of places.

www.resourceanalysis.com

i seriously doubt squatting just anywhere (obviously public property and not private) would be tolerated along most rivers.  swa, blm, national forests etc. pretty much permit back country camping, but most accessible places are designated camping area only.
as for the fire thing - i would say that would be best checking with any of the fire depts in a region and see about fire conditions?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts