Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one know the roads that have free camping on them around the Dream Stream/Eleven mile reservoir? Dispersed camping sites... Doesn't look like a lot of national forest around that area. All I've seen so far is 211 out of Cheesman reservoir.

·
P I K E
10,112 Posts
Highway 92 out of Lake George going to 11 Mile has free camping along the road the closer you get to the lake, it's mostly National forest land.

·
Registered
217 Posts
There's a forest service road between tarryall and Highway 24... takes you right to the turnoff where sometimes the Buffalo Roam

I believe this to be BLM land... there is primitive camping sites available back there

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. Now I'm not worried about finding a spot, but my new fear is the "weather and wildlife".

·
Registered
625 Posts
Thanks guys. Now I'm not worried about finding a spot, but my new fear is the "weather and wildlife".
stay in the trees and practice good back-country safety. when the guy from SE wyoming (me) tells you that it's miserable windy for anything other than hard side camping up there, it's maybe worth note. I've done only a little tent camping in the south park area and in anything but forrest it's damn awful if you ask me. in the forrest it's nice, just don't get eaten :) I didn't get eaten and I'm only moderately intelligent and certainly a lazy tasty morsel for the things that want to eat people.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
You might consider paying to camp at 11 Mile State Park. They have some nice developed sites, bathrooms, store is right there, etc.

If your goal is to go fishing and stay for free then yeah, you'll be roughing it just a bit. No big deal. Lots of mountain lions up there but they hardly ever bother people. ;D

Antero was always my choice (SWA so free camping at semi developed sites). But it's still closed, for now. Rumor is it may be open again soon but we don't know if it will still be free camping when it does.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts