Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

can someone please explain.......

3K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  fishhunterdan 
#1 ·
Alright guys what I wanna know is why spinning reels have the switch that engages/disengages the antireverse? Does anyone use this function for anything? I'm curious cuz yesterday when I disassembled and cleaned my spinning reel I lost the spring for that switch... what a pain in the ass to find it! Got me thinking why the hell is this even here!

#4 ·
I take my baitcasters apart for regular cleaning. But I do recommend a couple things :
1) have a good clean work area
2)have the reel schematic available
3)take pictures before and during disassembly (I've learned to do this with automotive repairs and has help me A LOT especially when rewiring sth)

I've taken apart revo's a lot can do it pretty easily. But this was the first time I took apart this spin reel. I found the spring after all but just made me wonder why that system is even there.....m

#9 ·
During that reassembly I was thinking just a straight up one way clutch bearing would've been fine with me. The ironic thing was I didn't even need to remove that switch for full disassembly. When I went to take off the side plate it seemed like it wasn't able to be removed. ..I removed that switch and..... it still wasn't ready to come off...lolI missed a screw on the bottom. When I went to put that spring back in it shot across the room under tension. ...

#16 ·
I've used it while ice fishing when I didnt have a flasher. I would count the handle revolutions to set how deep I was fishing. Its a good way to stay on suspended panfish if you don't have a finder with you. I couldn't ever imagine trying to backreel a fish, sounds like a birds nest waiting to happen to me!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.