Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I talked about this once before back in March when the site was young and we only had about 100 members. We (as of 6/7) now have 420 members. And I don't know how many people are "lurking"-maybe just as many, maybe even more.

Anyway, I talked about how I don't think its a very good idea to give out specific locations. Some guys were showing where they caught their fish on a map, some were even giving out GPS coordinates.

There is just no way of knowing the ethics of everyone whose a member here, and there is certainly no way of knowing the ethics of people who lurk here. So I just want to say, I would think FIRST before giving out the location-especially if its a small lake or pond that really can't handle the increased fishing pressure. So be very careful about giving out specifics about locations-that would be my advice. If you post too much about your "honey hole" and your next trip out the 5 gallon bucket crowd is there to greet you, you have yourself to blame.

Now the last time I posted this I was accused of being everything but a child molester. I was told fishing is about SHARING. To a point I agree and if you're talking about bigger lakes like Chatfield or Pueblo its no problem. And if you're talking about what presentation or technique worked well, thats great and I'd like to see more of that info myself. I just see posts on here about small waters and I sometimes shudder-cause there are a lot of other sets of eyes reading the same thing. Do they practice catch and release? Do they ever keep more than the limit. Do they ever keep undersized below the length limit fish? Do they even have a liscense?

Just asking people to think about this. Ed And no, I don't molest children. I'm actuallu a pretty nice guy. ::)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I thought that was the whole purpose of the site to find fishing spots and to let others know where you have luck at.

otherwise all this site would be about is who can out do his neighbor in the amount of fish and who can catch the biggest.

i dont care who's got the biggest i want to know where they got it

i dont sign in everyday because i'm a lonley person and with out this site i would'nt have any contact with the outside world i log on everyday so that i might learn something.

so if it comes to not sharing info.
but  look what i caught

what good would this  forum be?

because i have better things to do than you showing me how much bigger yours is or how much bigger mine is

but yet i'm suppose to guess from the pictue where you   had a good day at .

so go ahaead and keep your info too yourself and when everyone else does the same we will be in the same spot we were before this sight brought us together  to learn and share with each other  

so what the heck is the magazine going to be more pictures but no info where the fish are hitting.

and this is from an even nicer guy until someone like you say's something like that .

i better quit while i'm ahead

good morning to the rest of you

and happy fishing

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Sharing information is on you. I have noticed more and more people not giving names of ponds in the fishing reports section. (To Me) Why report then, just post your picture with something like wow look what I caught. But that isnt required a report is a report as technique and presentation can be used on different lakes and usually have the same success at the same time of year and same conditions.
Fishing to me is funner when I catch fish. I still enjoy just being out on the lake and whatever but its more exciting to catch fish. I am a catch and release fisherman, the only time I keep fish is when I'm camping 3+ days or when I'm fishing with someone that wants to keep them (which isnt often). So if I can give information to someone else, so they can go have fun and catch a few fish it makes me feel good. Or if I'm at a lake pulling in fish and the people around me aren't catching anything, if they come talk I explain what I'm doing so they have a shot to.
I still dont think "honey holes" will be fished out by sharing this information on this site. But I have been known to be wrong before.
Basically, the information you share is up to you. And no one will call you a "child molester" for not giving out GPS locations or even the name of the pond. I'm sure people will ask but all you have to say is, I'd rather not give out that inforamtion at this time. Or something to that effect. I think my favorite was "Blah Blah Blah will KILL me if I tell you where these ponds are." Alot of people fish to relax or get away. So if its for your peace of mind why not be greedy?

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Myboysaremyheart-I got two bodies of water that I fish at least once a week.  They have (by CO standards) fantastic bass fishing-one for smallies and one for largemouth.  One lake is about 4 ac. and in the other, the smallies are all in the lower end-about 30 ac. Guess I should share that, huh?  And if word gets out, fishermen (both catch and release and catch and keep guys) will decend on these two ponds and in a few months neither one will fish worth a damn.

But I would be "sharing" my spots.  Give me a break.

And about catching one thats bigger than yours-I could'nt care less.  I don't go fishing to brag about what I've caught.

If you learn HOW to fish, you don't need somebody to tell you WHERE to fish.  Half the fun is finding that on your own.  

You say you're a nicer guy than me and yet you're mad at me just for expressing my opinion.  I'm pretty sure I'm entitled to express an opinion. Maybe you're not as nice as you think?  

A good morning to everyone and to you to-guess I can't be petty, even when I try.  Ed

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
I see both sides of the coin. On one hand it's always good to help others out and on the other hand if you think its going to kill a fishery than maybe not saying will be the better option. Like Epic said "(To Me) Why report then, just post your picture with something like wow look what I caught". The only problem with that though is becuase of human nature you know the first question out of everyone's mouth is going to be "Where did you catch it". If your the type of person who likes to get you catches a secret than I say dont post anything about the catch. People are just going to ask questions and by you not answering them your just going to come off as rude. Myself, I dont mind telling people where/what/how I got the fish. The way I look at it is if someone needs help, While im no expert, It would be nice to know maybe something I told some help them catch a few more than they would have. As far as posting GPS Cords and pictures of where on a lake I caught fish, im one of the people on this board that ED is talking about that has done this in the past. I did do this when the board was new and not alot of people were on it. With all the people and info on the board now I don't think Id do it anymore. With that said; I guess I stand in the middle of this. I dont mind helping people but at the same time ill start keepping a few things to myself.

-Jay

And lets not start personally attacking people on this site.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
myboysrmyheart said:
so what the heck is the magazine going to be more pictures but no info where the fish are hitting.
I really dont know what to make of this comment, maybe its just worded funny. But Ed has nothing to do with the magazine he is just a user like you who is worried to many people will give away to much information. He is not the only fisherman to fish his little 4ac. pond, and if someone on this board gave out location and information then his favorite spot could be shoulder to shoulder fishing. This is his worst fear. The magazine will have tips, maps and all kinds of other information that you can use.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Interesting post Ed and it echoes many of the same thoughts I have. I?ve had places, both hunting and fishing destroyed by telling others about them, or by taking someone and then they decide to claim ownership of an area and bring every person they know to the area.

There are a wide variety of folks that frequent this site, Some like to catch fish, some like to take family members to catch fish, some like to try different areas based upon a report or two, Some just like to experience the outdoors on the water and enjoy trying to figure out what the fish want that particular day.

The information that a person may chose to share depends on what category of fisherman they are. Personally, I like to share the technique that I used, water clarity, temp, lure and presentation. A true fisherman can apply that information to bodies of water that have those same qualities. If the body of water is large enough, I?ll share spots as well if I think the ?spot? can support sharing the knowledge. If the body of water is smaller, I may just be more vague about it?s location unless it is already overrun with people. Those ponds that a person finds through trial, error and perseverance, will stay in my skull in the attempt to make them continue to be a place I want to fish.  These days, folks have no clue  about etiquette, manners or respect for fellow anglers, Two of my favorite places of 5 years ago, I can?t even go to on the weekends anymore, all I do is get frustrated with the wanton rule breaking and the lack of courtesy by other ?anglers? so I will attempt to keep other spots I have found, in the condition that I like them to be in so I can enjoy them.

Let the labels fall where they may. When I hear the waves lapping at the hull, feel the water surrounding me in my belly boat, or watch the tip of my rod backlight by the sunset  while in my chair sipping an adult beverage and not a person within 200 yards of me. I will label myself as content.

Respectfully, Brett

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Brett and Jay-Excellent posts IMHO-you just can't assume that everyone is going to have the same respect for a body of water that you have. Almost everywhere I go there is trash along the bank-spools of fishing line to ensnare waterfowl, bottles, food wrappers,tackle pouches, etc. I have never understood how people can do this. But I am pretty sure these same people violate other rules as well. Brett sees this as a loss of etiquette-I think he's absolutely right.

I don't care where a fish was caught, like Brett I would much rather here about HOW it was caught-what lure, how deep, what technique.

This site has grown alot in just 4 months. I think there needs to be a little discretion when we're talking about a small pond or lake. Ed PS-Like Epic said-I've got no connection to the magazine and I can't imagine they'd have much use for an old oppinionated guy like me. ;D

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I'd like to separate your issue into two:

1) The idea of sharing fishing successes with other fisherman

2) The notion of a "5 gallon bucket" fisherman's destruction of our resources

With regard to the first issue, I think that I could learn from a post that not only talked about technique but also the structure of the area that was fished and other conditions like weather, water clarity, season, etc. I have to admit, however, that there are times when I am lazy and am just looking for a good report to catch fish. These times occur more frequently when I am taking my kids out for some fishing since they don't have the patience to let dad try various techniques. Bottom line, I say to each his own and if you don't want to share, at least provide some information about the conditions, structure, etc. Of course, there are always PMs for giving out specific information to those you trust.

Regarding the second issue, I think that, as a community of fisherman, we have a responsibility to educate others about the protection of resources. I like to read the various ideas about slot limits, species management and other ways to manage fisheries and this can be one of the important purposes of this site. I'll be optimistic and say who knows, over time we could actually convert a 5 gallon bucket fisherman into a selective harvest or catch and release fisherman. So in this way, growth of this site is a very good thing.

So, anyway, just my $.02 Thanks for bringing this up.

Mike

·
Registered
47 Posts
I dont mind sharing . I got a piece of info last year from a guy on a forum and caught a 22 inch rainbow. I had never caught one bigger than 12 inches. It has made me become an avid fisherman. I now share what little I know to help others maybe catch a fish. Many people go fishing with kids and never catch a thing. Now many of the kids will never fish again. Its no fun catching zero fish to a kid. I was at trout stockings and help kids in texas.Then I saw a kid help another kid. As for exact location on a small pond I would agree not to give out the specific spot. But I wouldnt mind saying where I caught the fish in my picture. I am with the
texas fishing forum. Many people have helped me with fishing and I have helped others with what I learned.

http://www.texasfishingforum.com/cgibin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
The information you choose to share on this website is up to the individual. if you choose to post a specific location, grid, hotspot, ect ect be prepared for someone to take you up on the info...thats the nature of websites like this. its a source of information, and people tap into it. my advice is dont post anything you arent willing to share, and keep in mind hundreds of people are going to be reading it. if you dont choose to post specific information, thats your business---but at least contribute to the site in other ways like tips, techniques, or something similiar. i get irritated when i get a message from someone whom i havnt even seen on the board before, without even a "hello, i am so and so and was wondering..." asking me questions about an area i fished, what i was using, blah blah blah. give me a break, im all about helping people catch fish, but dont just try to use me and solicit information from me without being an active user at this website.

i personally dont post on my favorite locations...however if i do and choose to post on my "Pond X" at least ill post the techniques i used and the conditions that the fish were takin in. and it will be more of a "look what i caught" type post....

i like to share info...but i use discretion and usually dont post stuff too specific. after all, its fishing, half the fun is figuring it out yourself.

in the end though i see both sides of the discussion...and it's one that has most likey been argued since man (or woman) first picked up a pole and caught a fish. i dont aggree with posting everything i know about a particular spot, but whom am i to tell someone they cant? all i can hope is no one finds and posts on my "secret spots..."

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Epic and Rottal already said it all so I don't need to further add.

I'm glad I get the amount of info I do on this site. I'm happy to give out as much as I'm willing to. I'm glad others do the same. Tips and techniques are acquired and same goes for locations and honeyholes. I'll repeat one thing that Epic and Rottal said, though. It's entirely up to the individual angler on whether or not he or she share's a honeyhole. And once again, the magazine is not the forum. These two are related of course, but each has its own entity.

Lot's of the reports I post are as open and honest as they can get. I however do have a honeyhole or two that I don't speak of and that's just out of good intentions. I know that a good amount of fishermen on this forum are willing to share some and not willing to share some. But it's ok. I'm thankful for what they share and as for what they don't share, well.... The pictures make me smile enough.

As for certain techniques... Sharing that is great, but have you ever wondered what works best for you? I've tried my buddies' favorite techniques before and he's tried mine too. What usually happens is we each return to our personal favorites that we begin with LOL!! It's not a fact that only your own technique will work for you, but in my case that's how it's been. I'll try many techniques that work well for others and out of all of them I'll only pick a few that I like to be added to my own. For example: Troutfishingbear has great success using senkos on largemouths. I don't find those to be so productive for me. But that's just me. Maybe I haven't acquired the skills I need for this type of lure and haven't yet built confidence in the lure. I stick to culprit worms and YUM crawbugs while they still work for me. Other than that I'll just keep experimenting until I find something that works.... And what works today possibly won't work tomorrow. The spots that are hittin today certainly can be just a confusion tomorrow too.

Come on guys. Let's don't get too personal. Relax. Fishing is fun!!

1eyeReD

·
Registered
603 Posts
Something else I thought about as I was pondering this topic. If a person wanted to actually do some research about a certain body of water that they wanted to try out, They can search here, follow some of the posts, and get a pretty good idea on where to start on the body of water and what lures may work.
Case in point.. I never even knew Watson lake existed. Somebody posted about it a few months ago so I thought I would try it out for smallies. I floated around for a cpl hrs, caught a couple smallmouth, Eyeballed the lake a little, planned what I would like to do when I come back, Read some more on here about it and now know that I probably missed the shallower water bite for smallmouth but have a couple thoughts on where I would like to try the in some deeper water on the lake.
In my mind,, If your the type of person who is looking for information along the lines of going to a GPS spot, use a certain type of lure and fish it a certain type of way, your not in in for the sport of fishing but in it for the fish.
Now,, When kids are involved,, oh ya,, I will give you my last honey spot so that they can enjoy the sport of catching,, after all thats what makes them into fisherpeople and will add to our passion.

Brett

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Ed, you have a very good point. Even though the 1st time you said something like this. I was like "that michael jackson punk...) JK  ;). I feel selfish agreeing w/ you, since I have learned alot from ya'll. I have learned alot from this site. Especially from Epic, 1eyered, (whoever left the BassResourse web address on here, McFish ? Work2fish?), and mostly from Andyrm66. Actually from everyone. Thanks.
However, this site has grown. Although this could be good (Ken mentioned a clean-up), I can see the dangers.
The best example I can think of currantly is Watson Lake. I know that out of at least 450 members. I won't be the only one fishing there for the 1st time in the next few weeks. I'm sure the photo (contest) has inspired a few trips there. I also know that for every 450 there are also 4 or 5 buddies of each of the members. It's like a huge grapevine.
When I hear people complain about Colorado Bass fishing. I just think that I'm actually happy about it sometimes. If I went to one of my Bas fishing spots, and found it as crowded as some of the decent Trout spots. I'd be bummed. No matter how big the fish were.
I know I'm one of the guys that will ask where?, but only in the reports section. I do feel, if your posting a "fishing report" it should include all the info. ;) I don't feel small ponds or honeyholes need to be posted on. Maybe another catagory "PICTURES" could be added, or just post on one of the pic topics already in.
I guess to wrap this up. With this many people reading, a small pond/lake could really suffer from the right post/photo. I would hate to see that happen. I've learned so much from this site, and I hope to help others. When I fish it's almost always catch and release, and I always bring a bag for trash, but who knows?
Ed, I don't think anyone would call you the names you said, and if they go that far. That's really crossing the line. Hey, at laest you're not a tool like Rottal though!  ;)JK ;) Rottal.    

I know I sound selfish agreeing. Especially since I started this site as a very inexperienced angler. I do feel that small ponds/lakes may need protecting. I fish a small pond every week. There's never too many people there, so I can fish w/ my dogs. From the few people that fish there I pick up a safeway bag of trash every time. If they care that little, I know they're not respectfull anglers. I feel like I'm friends w/ most people on here, and would gladly share locations w/ most of you. I just wouldn't want to have my spot ruined, or ruin someone elses. I think w/ the size of the site now, we just need to be carefull.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
James-I think its only natural to feel a little guilty about keeping quiet about a spot. But then I think about the hours that went into finding a secluded place to fish and I don't feel so guilty anymore. My attitude has always been, if somebody devotes the time they'll discover their own spots-which they won't tell me about!! And I won't blame them.

The thing where you take along a bag to pick up trash-you're to be applauded for that. I have done some trash collection myself-sometimes it feels a little overwhelming. Sometime I'd like to catch someone in the act of leaving all their crap behind and just ask them were they not brought up better than that? Ed

·
Registered
636 Posts
Rottal, ePic, and 1eyered said it all. I actually agree with most of what was said. It is up to the individual to post his/her honeyhole or any other info. If it is a large body of water say like John Martin or Blue Mesa, even something smaller like Quincy, there is not going to be any harm done. Those reserviors are big enough for all of us.
Small lakes or ponds that do not get much pressure, keep them to yourself. They will get ruined and end up like Spratt Platte. They is no need to be attacking someone just because they do not want to say where they fish.
There is nothing wrong with keeping fish at all either. I do it half the time except for some exceptions. Undersized fish and fish that are not regularly stocked such as bass and muskie. You can really destroy a small pond/lake very fast when you keep the fish. Lets just all share tips and stories and not always worry about location. We are here because we all share a common interest, fishing!!! We are not here to argue about stupid issues. Who is better Bill Clinton or George Bush?
Hey Easy-Ed, so where is your secret lake? ;)

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Ed,

You are right success can be its own downfall. If a person has a "honey hole" that they really want to protect they certainly don't need to post it for all to see. I think a lot of the posting of fishing locations can be found by anyone who does their homework. The goal of the forum as I see it is a way to share information and to receive information. I have found it invaluble to improving my success.

For protecting a "honey hole" what some people do is after they have observed a person's posts for a while and decide that person is an honorable and ethical fisherman/fisherwoman its not uncommon to share some inside information by way of a personal message or email. Its always possible that despite a request and reassurance of keeping information on the "qt" someone will divulge it in a way you hope won't happen. I am somewhat of an optimist and try give people benefit of the doubt as much as possible. But when you violate that trust or act unethically it will not happen again.

Dan

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Sometime I'd like to catch someone in the act of leaving all their crap behind and just ask them were they not brought up better than that?
lets just say i wouldnt be so polite i think toby keith has the solution "w'll put a boot in your a** its the american way!"

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Ed Marcol said:
If you learn HOW to fish, you don't need somebody to tell you WHERE to fish.  Half the fun is finding that on your own.  
I agree with you Ed that you shouldn't tell everyone on this site your personal honeyholes. I don't mind either that is entirely your right. I would just caution you and say that all fisherman (for that matter) all people are different and what might be fun to you is not fun for all the fisherman. This doesn't mean you should give out all your best spots. Matter of fact I asked you a question about brush Hollow a few weeks ago and I think you answered it perfectly. I asked where you had caught your fish and you told me deeper water. Without giving me a specific spot you pointed me in the right direction. I think there is some middle ground. ;D

·
Registered
16,538 Posts
My last couple of high altitude cutty lakes I chose not to tell the names .Almost any high lake right now is HOT for fishing cause its just after ice-out up there.My report of what to use will work for 95% of all high lakes in colorado! I discovered most all these high lakes by looking at a map and then sweating up to them.No pain no gain!Everyone has access to the same info I have.Just a matter of wanting to put in the "sweat equity".I have no prob giving my secrets of 11-mile or c-field,but these high gems I will protect!Later-

1 - 20 of 22 Posts