Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess my basic question is-do most of the major lakes along the front range get a thermocline in the summer and do they go thru a turnover in the fall? It is supposed to happen around 60-65 degrees water temp on lakes that do develop a thermocline and I have witnessed the junk floating to the top and the swampy smell you get.

My question is-do lakes like Chatfield, Cerry Creek, Hoorsetooth, etc get a turnover? I know wind can mix the water and prevent a thermocline, also current, also if the lake is shallow.

I gotta say, on a lake like Pueblo I don't see the classic turnover signs in the fall and I don't think this really happens on this lake. How about others?

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I think it mainly depends on the depth of the lake. The thermal isocline (thermocline) rarely forms at depths shallower than 30 ft. and can be as far down as 50-60 ft. on some lakes. So you need fairly deep water to form a thermocline. I would think Horsetooth (max. depth about 120 ft.) would certainly have one. On the other hand, Boyd, a shallower lake with a couple of small 50 ft. holes, most probably does not.

As far as I know, Colorado does not have any info on-line about which lakes form thermoclines and which don't. If you know something about the bottom contours of the lake, you might be able to take a reasonable guess.

W. E.

·
Registered
16,559 Posts
Usually when a lake here "turns over",you get all this bluish-green algae floating around on top and this seems to happen in september-october.Almost every lake I've ever fished in colorado has done this.It lasts for a week or two,depending on wind.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts