Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The traditional method for fishing lake trout is tipping your tube jigs with a small piece of sucker meat for scent. Since I don't have any suckers left but lots of raw shrimps, can I still catch lakers by tipping it with a small piece of shrimp?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Sucker meat is for suckers. Use salmon egg Smelly Jelly in either liquid or paste. Leave a good scent trail. Keep the SJ in the freezer when not in use.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
You can tipped your jig with what ever you like.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yep tip with anything except live bait unless permitted but most the laker lakes I know in CO don't allow live bait

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Raw shrimp works... Squid works as well and stays on the hook really good!

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for all the responds guys. I will take a few senior citizens, a 69 years old Trump's supporter, and a 68 years old Russkie (what the h... I am doing) out to Williams Forks tomorrow without the sucker meat. I will blame your guys if we don't entice the lakers to bite lol.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Thanks for all the responds guys. I will take a few senior citizens, a 69 years old Trump's supporter, and a 68 years old Russkie (what the h... I am doing) out to Williams Forks tomorrow without the sucker meat. I will blame your guys if we don't entice the lakers to bite lol.
how'd you do man?

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Can't you find any Suckermeat? Try all the shrimp or squid you want but I would take what you know works.
I just judged a tournament there a few weeks ago and know where the guys were having the best success. Pm if you want some intel, deeper 60-70' was happening

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fishing from 52 to 70 FOW today. 3 guys, o fish, sad isn't it? We used tube jigs in different colors tipped with shrimp or squid with no bites. Fish were there chasing jigs up and down for long times but would not bite. It was maddening to see them do it. This is my first time ever skunked out on lakers. Here is a quote for you guys:
He who doesn't bring sucker meat, will not get the lakers to bite lol. I forgot to mention thanks to redleader for the spots, found the fish but not the bites.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Fishing from 52 to 70 FOW today. 3 guys, o fish, sad isn't it? We used tube jigs in different colors tipped with shrimp or squid with no bites. Fish were there chasing jigs up and down for long times but would not bite. It was maddening to see them do it. This is my first time ever skunked out on lakers. Here is a quote for you guys:
He who doesn't bring sucker meat, will not get the lakers to bite lol. I forgot to mention thanks to redleader for the spots, found the fish but not the bites.
Did you see any kokes on your finder?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I heard from a couple of guys using tilapia worked for lakers at Williams Fork. Just a thought, what about using salmon from the fish market, lakers do eat the kokanee salmon that are in the lake. No I don't fish for lakers myself so I don't know if these work or not but it seems like it might be worth a try.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Buying salmon fillets to catch greasy lakers??? Just eat the salmon. That's like tipping jigs with nice perch fillets to catch freakin slimers. ;D

·
Registered
24,552 Posts
Buying salmon fillets to catch greasy lakers??? Just eat the salmon. That's like tipping jigs with nice perch fillets to catch freakin slimers. ;D
I agree totally but buying a small salmon fillet is cheaper than a $6 or $8 sucker from a bait store plus it is fresh and already prepared...if you feel the need to tip a jig...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bet if you go fishing with Bernie at Granby (or any of other guides) they will have sucker meat. Lot of effort and time to get there. What's a few bucks for a sucker from the bait store?:confused:Mike at Granby Bait and Tackle carries suckers and with a purchase will also share information.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts