Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be in cancun in a couple months. I want to do some fly fishing while I am out there. Just wondering if anybody could point me in the direction of a good guide.

·
Registered
6 Posts
No ideas on a good guide. I am going to be down for a family vacation in two weeks (note: Already have accommodations), found this place:

http://www.pescamaya.com/en/daytrips.html

They pick you up at your hotel (up to 2 hours one way) and drive you to Ascension Bay. I've read it's world class flats. We shall see, I'm booked for two day trips while I'm down there, I'll try to report back my thoughts!

·
Registered
724 Posts
No ideas on a good guide. I am going to be down for a family vacation in two weeks (note: Already have accommodations), found this place:

http://www.pescamaya.com/en/daytrips.html

They pick you up at your hotel (up to 2 hours one way) and drive you to Ascension Bay. I've read it's world class flats. We shall see, I'm booked for two day trips while I'm down there, I'll try to report back my thoughts!
For what it's worth:
Went there in early March (pescamaya)-They do pick you up and it sounded like sometimes they charge for that, and sometimes they don't but I'm not sure what the driving factor in the charge is. We didn't get charged.
It was a hellacious ride-every bit of 3 hrs. each way from Eldorado Maroma Hotel (Riviera Maya) near Cancun. Half the way to pescamaya is on the dirt road from hell-but still thought the day was fun, and worth it.
Cant qualify it as to the world class portion of that since it was my first Bonefish trip but they do claim good numbers (it is still fishing and conditions dictate) compared to many other places.
My wife even went for the day (yes-6 hr. drive total/ 3 hrs. of it on ROUGH road) and she liked the fishing/not the riding, but she likely would not go again if I decided to do so.
Her set up to catch bones-7'6" Wright & McGill blue flats rod on a W&M Sabalos sz. 40 reel and 14lb. Berkley Nanofil, w/fluoro leader using a small split shot above a crazy Charlie type fly (white and/or cream) and it worked great until the winds hit, and we then had trouble locating (casting to) the fish.
The day trip-not for the faint of heart and if I had to do it over again I would go for 2-4 days and stay overnight at the lodge.
Two other guys that we picked up at another Hotel agreed that they loved it and it was a great day for them too (on another boat/different guide).

·
Registered
129 Posts
Pescamaya os a great guide if you want to fish down south. Where did you want to fish? You can fish the lagoon in Cancun, hotbox, the lagoon at isla majures, and several other places. A lot is just about how far you are willing to travel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Trip Report: Pesca Maya was a good outfit, I will use them again. Our resort was 2 hours away from Punta Allen, which is the general area of where we fished. We spent Day 1 hunting Bonefish. Which we caught a ton of.

Day 2 was a bit different, I really wanted a tarpon, though not in season. We fished all day for Tarpon, casted to more than a few. But I was never able to hookup. VERY technical casting into mangroves. May go again in November when the water lowers and pulls the Tarpon out of the mangroves. Literally trying to shoot through a 2 ft hole from 40-50 ft out with a fly rod. It was pretty tough. I loved every second of it though. I told the guide, I'd do it all day even if we don't hookup, and it was worth it.

It seems like July becomes "low" season for the fishing out there as it gets hot. It was borderline too hot when we were out in the end of June. The guide told me 100-110 in July is pretty common.

The road: Mickey62060 was absolutely right. When I do it again, I'll get a room out there for a night or two. Fishing was great, but the road was horrible. I think the driver could have been a little better given the conditions, but he was in a hurry and really was hard on the gas and then would slam the brakes. My wife came to fish (she's also an avid fisherman) and almost bailed on Day 2 because of the ride.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I fished a day with Enrique. A buddy of his picked me up at my hotel in the am and then Enrique drove me back. Really nice guy, basic English and patient with me. We never brought anything of substance boatside but he worked really hard to get me into some fishy spots. I'd go with him again.

Have you ever flats fished from a boat? If not, be ready to be sneaky quiet on deck: no kicking the boat, dropping anything, etc. as the fish will scatter. Also, don't hook the mangroves as guides almost always go in for their flies leaving you to deal with the mosquitos that emerge in hoards!

http://www.cancunflatsfishing.com/fishing_guide.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts