Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife reserved campsites at white star campground for this weekend. I have never fished Twin Lakes and am thinking about bringing a canoe to target fish in deeper water (Lakers). Do these lakes have high boat traffic? Is it even worth bringing a canoe? I remember the last time I took a canoe out on a super busy lake (Horsetooth) it was miserable because people are assholes.

·
Registered
16,693 Posts
I think Nate did a show about catching big lakers on top-water at Twin lakes. From shore.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Not many boats on twin lakes right now, nor many folks fishing.
But no idea how those lakes fish from shore or otherwise.

BTW: there's some really nice sites across the street at the Lakeview campground too.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Wife and I took our 17 foot canoe on Twin Lakes about 18 years ago.
Take yours. Its a pretty place to paddle and traffic was a none issue. You can paddle to the old Hotel and between the lakes.
Wind came off the mountains and we could surf the waves.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Some of us gotta be off shore.
It was in the 70's when I last canoed there, We used to camp right on the shore between the lakes before designated only camping lol.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Lots of folks up there go on solo vessels. I would stay moderately close to your launch due to weather, but I think it would be fine. Boat traffic isn't huge, but it's there.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I did not end up taking the canoe. Did have a fun morning on the belly boat up there. Caught several bows 10 - 14 inches, but nothing impressive. Missed a few of what must have been Lakers on a white tube jig near bottom. Did not fish as much as I would have liked, but I plan to go back in October. Sorry no pictures yet, I did take some video with the GoPro that my wife recently bought me. Still working that thing out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts