Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a new toy for '06. I'm leaning toward the kayak, but some input would be useful. Screamin' reels to ya...

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
if i were to be going solo only i would go with the potoon or kayak the pontoon for smaller waters as they are easier to fish from but on larger waters or when you would want to cover more water i think the kayak would do better easier to move longer distances. but it is hard to take a buddy along in either of those, the canoe can carry a buddy and lots of gear a little harder to fish from but excelent getting in to boat in only camps and taking friends

personaly i use a float tube and a canoe and that seams to cover most bases

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have a canoe and a float tube. I like the float tube for smaller waters or back bays of the bigger lakes. My canoe is a 17' Stowe fiberglass with a modified V-bottom, weighs only 54 lbs. I added outriggers for stability and they really work well. No tipping and I can stand up and move around when I get stiff. Also, I use a small electric Minn-Kota; clamped onto a motor mount on the side of the stern. This really moves the canoe well and allows me to cover the water when I need to move or want to troll, bottom bounce, etc. This is a good rig when I take a grandkid or two out too. Very stable and the outriggers make getting in and out easy.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Our family has two canoes both 17 footers. One tandam and my solo.
Proper design and getting the boat balanced will take care of most lakes in the Colorado area.
If I only fished and released most of my fish I'd consider A Kayak. I can drop the fish into a cooler on the canoe. I't hard to pull a stringer of fish upwind.
I catch more fish trolling by paddleing then I did trolling with my power boat.
A Kayak seems to handle wind and waves better. But then you need more specialized gear for the Yak. Waders, clothing and such.
There is a good forum called Paddlenet that has a lot of talk on setting up a Kayak for fishing.
CanoeColorado in Denver has lots of Kayaks and Canoes and a wealth of knowledge.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've had them all and still have a belly boat and one man pontoon. The pontoon is the way to go. Light enough to move around and haul and on windy days is manageable. I had buddies in belly boats get blown across the lake when the wind really came up but using the oars and fins I scooted to the lee side (i.e. where the car was parked). If you get the right seat you can sit in it for hours. Another plus are the options available. You can mount fish finders and even an electric motor if you want.

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts