Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know some alternatives or back up batteries that are lighter then a 12V deep cycle that could push my canoe for a few hours? I've heard motorcyle batteries would work? Can I connect two motorcycle batteries in parrallel? Any help would appreciated.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
the optima deep cycles work pretty good and are smaller than the average deep cycle battery

the motor cycle battery, as long as it was 12 volt, i think most are would work but not being deep cycle would not last as many years

some solar fence chargers use a 12 volt battery for cloudy days they would be samll and deep cycle you might check into that or just call trojan or interstate batteries

good luck, id like to here what you come up with

·
Registered
769 Posts
You would probably be better off to get the smallest deep cycle battery you can find.  As mentioned earlier, the motorcycle batteries would not hold up to draw down and then recharging for too many cycles.  Also, even with two motorcycle batteries, you probably would not get near the run time that you would get with a small deep.  I know that Trojan makes a small 150 (25 amps output
for 150 minutes).  Good rule of thumb on 12V motors is to figure about 1 amp of draw for every pound of thrust.  If you are running a 36lb motor at half speed, it should be drawing about 18 amps
from the battery.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thx Guys! It is a pain to carry the deep cycle (must way about 35lbs.) if i launch the canoe from a steep embankment (i.e. Rampart) or have to park far away from my drop in point.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I know what you mean. I use a regular deep cycle, marine battery and it is heavy...luckily I have a strong, young son-in-law who can tote it for me.

·
Registered
935 Posts
jeffmonument said:
Does anyone know some alternatives or back up batteries that are lighter  then a 12V deep cycle that could push my canoe for a few hours?  I've heard motorcyle batteries would work?   Can I connect two motorcycle batteries in parrallel?  Any help would appreciated.
I have an electric motor that is probably around 12 lbs. of thrust that I push my canoe with. I have some 15-19 Amp-hour SLA (Sealed Lead Acid) batteries that weight around 12 lbs each. One of them can push my canoe around for 2-4 hours, depending on how I'm running. Two of them will last all day, but have slowed down noticably by the end of the day. With batteries, capacity is almost directly related to weight, so there's no way to get around the big heavy batteries unless you sacrifice capacity/charge. With a 30 lbs. thrust motor, you probably will drain batteries quite quickly, but you could help your batteries last longer with a separate motor speed controller that uses a Pulse Width Modulation circuit, which controls DC motor speeds more efficiently than the built-in resistance-based speed controls on trolling motors.

·
Registered
307 Posts
GMCO45, a question, if I have a 200 AMP battery and it draws 18AMPS should it last about 10 hours? I'm not very good at electricity.

Another question on batteries, I used my 4 (now 5) year old trolling battery (I don't think it really it has ever been used much) last fall and it ran fine for 7 hours. I keep it fully charged and unfrozen all winter, cells are full. Today I topped it off and used it for about 1 hour and it lost charge. Does that mean it needs to be replaced? Is it just the Aurora voodoo? Is there any chance it just needs to be cycled again to work?

·
Registered
769 Posts
FishEyes,
The 150 rating on the Trojan deep cycle is not an amp hour rating. It is the number of
continuous minutes that the battery can provide for a 25 amp draw.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts