Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I hope no one gets upset about me posting this, but I made my first ever venture into a S. Platte River Canyon on Wednesday. The parking area for the trail is closed, but I was able to park elsewhere and make an extra long hike out of it. It is a very scenic place. Water was very clear and I was able to sight fish some (never saw any huge fish) and just fish to "fishy" looking places also. Got there around 10:00 and stayed until 3:30. Weather was nice, just a bit windy at times. I caught seven brown trout all on spinning gear. I took my fly rod and spinning rod and I just wasn't getting any bites at all on the fly rod, so once I caught a couple with metal, decided to stick with that. I hiked upstream past about 10-12 other fishermen and found some areas with no one else around. I caught most of them casting downstream and reeling up. Gold and red were the colors that did the work. I did catch a couple casting up and reeling down with the current, but casting downstream at the seams of runs and still water did the trick for me. Most fish were 12-14", but I did manage two that were 15-16". I'll have to leave the spinning rod behind next time I go there so I can really challenge myself with the fly rod. Here is a picture of the first fish of the day, and another of the biggest.
First of the day:

Biggest fish of the day (15-16")

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
trotline jr said:
Why would anyone get upset with your post.
Well, there was a post a couple of days ago that has now been removed that stirred up a bit of ire. Just hoping this wouldn't cause a similar reaction.

Oh, and I wanted to comment more on the casting upstream vs. casting downstream aproach that TANGLER found interesting. I have been very concious lately of what direction I cast in and what gets more hook ups because I'm always trying to figure out what works. I cast several directions in a 180 degree arc when fishing from a point on shore. Straight upstream, diagonally up, straight across towards the opposite bank, diagonally downstream, or straight downstream. I think most people would say that casting upstream and reeling the lure in a little faster than the current is the best method, but I personally haven't found this to be true. I catch more brown trout for some reason when I cast to slow moving water downstream and reel in the lure against the current close to the edge of where the fast and slow water meet. I guess a small bait fish could swim against the current in those areas and the browns seem to attack it from positions either in seams or near the bank.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
independiente said:
trotline jr said:
Why would anyone get upset with your post.
Well, there was a post a couple of days ago that has now been removed that stirred up a bit of ire. Just hoping this wouldn't cause a similar reaction.

Oh, and I wanted to comment more on the casting upstream vs. casting downstream aproach that TANGLER found interesting. I have been very concious lately of what direction I cast in and what gets more hook ups because I'm always trying to figure out what works. I cast several directions in a 180 degree arc when fishing from a point on shore. Straight upstream, diagonally up, straight across towards the opposite bank, diagonally downstream, or straight downstream. I think most people would say that casting upstream and reeling the lure in a little faster than the current is the best method, but I personally haven't found this to be true. I catch more brown trout for some reason when I cast to slow moving water downstream and reel in the lure against the current close to the edge of where the fast and slow water meet. I guess a small bait fish could swim against the current in those areas and the browns seem to attack it from positions either in seams or near the bank.
I used to use panther martin spinners like this a lot with success...you almost let it flutter in the current...the trick is figuring the right size of spinner/additional splitshot you may add in order to keep the lure at the proper depth when doing this.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Cool Post! Those brownies colors are awesome!! :eek:
I've read where pulling spinners WITH the current is more natural, but I've caught my biggest pulling AGAINST the current letting is swing into over-hung banks. Orange Panther Martin w/red dots did the trick for me!

·
Registered
341 Posts
when you pull upstream let the lure (i use PM's) stop and fall downstream about a foot. I tend to get alot of brownies in the ST Vrain that way. O0 O0

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Nice post/fish!! Thanks..

D.J.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts