Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
11mile is easier for everything minus quality......even I can catch fish in 11 mile canyon.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
There is still some nice fish there though.

·
Registered
225 Posts
neither. they both are full of suckers and rattlesnakes. A cougar killed a man in cheesman last year and 11 mile has a gang of South Dakota Bikers that raises all hell up and down the road......terrible place.

I suggest you try the South Platte behind Chatfield, much better fishery...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Cheesman has some tanks....I haven't fish 11 Mile since the mid-90's, so I have no clue about that area anymore.

Both are crowded as hell most of the time though.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm surprised at the lack of enthusiasm...If you are Denver based and had a choice to reach in the same amount of time, what areas would you prefer? St. Vrain, Big Thompson, Clear Creek? Waterton Canyon, Some place else?

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I'm surprised at the lack of enthusiasm...If you are Denver based and had a choice to reach in the same amount of time, what areas would you prefer? St. Vrain, Big Thompson, Clear Creek? Waterton Canyon, Some place else?
Cheesman and 11 mile are both amazing fisheries. Dont listen to the guys here that attempt to put them down. Theyre both definitely worth fishing. I have had AMAZING dry fly days at both. Overall, cheesman is definitely a little harder to fish. But, there have been times at cheesman (especially right before dark) where i caught a fish literally every time i dragged my indicator rig through a lane or pool.(nice fish, too)Sometimes its tough, sometimes its a slaughter. If youre there at the right time with the right stuff, it can be incredible. Ive been there at times when the river literally looks littered with fish. Its crazy how many fish are actually in there. Either way, you cant really go wrong. Id be happy to fish either. Eleven mile is nice cuz you can drive along the whole river. With cheesman, you have to hike into the canyon. For this reason, if youre willing to put in some work and hike back further than most, youll access some BIG fish and get away from the crowds. The further back you go, the less spooky the fish are and the bigger they get. Just make sure you bring some water and a snack.

So, overall, cheesman is definitely more technical but has bigger fish. Eleven mile is a little easier to fish in my mind. Why choose between one or the other? Fish both!

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Another reason to go to eleven mile is the closeness of both eleven mile res and spinney. They are both awesome fisheries an getting a fish on the fly at either is really cool. My buddy and I fished eleven mile a ton this summer and we would spend half the day at the river and the other half at one of the reservoirs.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Dont forget the blue, either. It can be the shiznit as well. Ill usually head up there mid-afternoon and fish til dark. Its been a while since i got skunked up there and you can avoid alot of the poeple by going a little later in the day.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sounds like nymphs are a good choice in Cheesman, what patterns and sizes? single or tandem? Split shot or beadhead?

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
RS2's 18-22, Zebra Midge 18-22, Tan and orange scud 16-18 in May...

You can do a tandem with a 16-18 beadheads Hare's Ear or Prince with an RS2 dropper.

BWO hatches can be epic in April in Cheesman.

If you want solitude and a quality experience I much prefer it to 11 Mile.

I do better high sticken than bobber fishing.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Well my choice of destination is based on my time allotment and gas budget.

Clear Creek and another well known creek just west of Denver actually fish pretty well. Nothing giant, nothing technical, but you can get your fly fishing game on with those.

Waterton does not fish as well as it could IMHO, so I don't bother.

If I'm traveling as far as the St Vrain or Big T, I know other places I'd prefer to go...

Just my opinions, I'm sure someone else has a different view.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Well my choice of destination is based on my time allotment and gas budget.

Clear Creek and another well known creek just west of Denver actually fish pretty well. Nothing giant, nothing technical, but you can get your fly fishing game on with those.

Waterton does not fish as well as it could IMHO, so I don't bother.

If I'm traveling as far as the St Vrain or Big T, I know other places I'd prefer to go...

Just my opinions, I'm sure someone else has a different view.
Spoken like a true denverite.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts