Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didnt have enough time to do both a training hike and fish, so just hiked. *Walked from 530am till 12 noon. *Wentup south side of Sq. Top Mt. walked to point far west and saw Shelf lake, Murray, Silver Dollar. Saw Upper and Lower Squares from top. Hiked down the ridge between square tops and Naylor lake. Except for 1st half hour, all no trail. Damn 13,800 is high.

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fished Fri. Gonna fish this coming weekend for 3 days. Gonna fish the Winds for 5 days in 2 weeks. Gotta stay married-

·
Registered
936 Posts
Slayer, I'm curious. Did you see any ptarmigan up there? I've heard there are good numbers up there, but I hiked it a couple weeks ago and didn't spot any. It looks like you got some good views!

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope not one tarmigan. Ive seen tons up by Breckenridge but I rarely see any on Guanella. Been hiking all over Guan since 1990.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
I've seen them up there. My Gordon Setter about killed himself last July pointing and flushing them above Naylor on my way to another lake.

I've also seen them above Breck as Slayer says.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Nope not one tarmigan.
Obviously you've obtained spelling assistance from the book of Recon. (By the way, if you mess with his stuff, he'll kill you.)

Nice hike/pics. There are birds up there. A big going bird dog helps in locating the birds. An oxygen tank helps in keeping up with the dog. Glad I was able to scratch that one off the list years ago.

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Why add the "P" when it does no good?

·
Registered
253 Posts
P is for "pissed off"- which is what you become if your pointing dog flushes the bird before you get to it after having scrambled around up in those hills all day.
But what do I know? I'm delirious from a combination of neumonia and soriasis.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Slayer, nice post! If your hunting eyes back in the city, I hope you catch a big one! I recently discovered these alpine lakes but didn't bring up the fly gear.......I started below naylor lake and hiked up to Murray.......beautiful area......I started late and as soon as I reached them a storm rolled in and took off......I want to go back and fish these lakes soon......Naylor is a private lake but beautiful and looks like a great place to fIsh.......anyone have stories or pictures of fishing on this particular lake......I heard mackinaw reside there........ It's private water and only curious because it's a beautiful body of water...... nice pics slayer!

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
P is for "pissed off"- which is what you become if your pointing dog flushes the bird before you get to it after having scrambled around up in those hills all day.

They fly up when flushed, then down when flushed, then up when flushed.

Not really a tight holding bird like say a Bobwhite or even Pheasant,they just sort of mill around clucking, so if the dog finds them and they flush, send him after them again and they'll flush right back down to you.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts