Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
They fly up when flushed, then down when flushed, then up when flushed.

Not really a tight holding bird like say a Bobwhite or even Pheasant,they just sort of mill around clucking, so if the dog finds them and they flush, send him after them again and they'll flush right back down to you.
I shot enough of them back in the day to know that I've eaten enough of those purple-fleshed devils to satisfy any and all desire to hunt them again. Actually, for the most part, they held great for my dogs. I'll stick with Duskys/Blues.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
If by holding great, you mean hopping from rock to rock to branch clucking in plain open sight and not flushing, I get it.

They are more of a bucket list bird imo, and they taste like chicken marinated in Pinesol to me lol.

But it's a hunt everyone should do once and it gets you into some awesome country!

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
If by holding great, you mean hopping from rock to rock to branch clucking in plain open sight and not flushing, I get it.

They are more of a bucket list bird imo, and they taste like chicken marinated in Pinesol to me lol.

But it's a hunt everyone should do once and it gets you into some awesome country!
Mmmmm, chicken marinated in Pinesol...a great testimonial if I've ever heard one! Are they that bad?

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
I harvested them a couple of times Muni and both times they had a taste I didn't care for.

Maybe it was where i got them. Antelope can be delicious or taste like sage depending on where they come from, so the same theory may apply here.

·
Registered
16,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I retraced my route using tools provided by Google Earth.
It comes out to 8.76 miles. 6.5 of which was off-trail.
6 miles of which was 12,000 ft or higher.
With a 32 lb. pack.
In 6.5 hrs.
Real mountain guys would snicker at 1.34 MPH.
But the lake we're going to is 11miles and tops out at 11,600.
So nowhere near as steep or high,
I think I'm done training-

·
Registered
16,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I have a high tolerance for disconcert-

21 - 31 of 31 Posts