Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for something that I can use to turn a 10' ABS/PVC tube into a rod carrier for the car. Is there anything out there that can house the reel? Security isn't the biggest issue, its just not having to break downt he rod and leave it rigged, and not looking to spend 300 or more for the rod vault type setup.

Any DIY solutions you have found useful? Google hasnt shown too much that isnt a monstrocity of PVC fittings linked together.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Bradley,

I am attaching some photos of my DIY rod vault. I'll give as much information as I can. Perhaps others will get some ideas.

First, am I correct in assuming this tube will be on the top outside of a vehicle?

I'm not an expert on PVC and such. What color is the PVC? If it's black and if it's mounted where the sun hits it, you will find the tube will warp, go back to original shape then re-warp depending on how much sun/cold it gets. I started with the black tubing but didn't like the warping so I changed to 1.5" thin wall electrical EMT conduit. They come in lengths of ten feet and are about $13 at Home Depot. All of my materials were purchased at Home Depot except the reel box, which was purchased at Sportsman's Warehouse for about $10 or so. You can lock the box.

Bradley, my other half is bellowing. I'll finish this in a bit by way of an edit.

Ok, I'm back.

Image 101 shows the box installed on two EMT conduit tubes.

You will want to close off the far end of the tube. I have two suggestions for you.

The first end cap photo shows a 1.5" gripper, which is about $5 at HD. It is a compression fitting. You slide it in the end of the EMT tube then turn the knob a few times to hold it in place.

The second end cap photo shows a black end piece at the far end of the two tubes. These are rubber fittings you find in the PVC aisle at HD for a buck or two. They are open on both ends. I wanted to be a bit fancy so I attached these to make it look like the black ends of the commercial vaults. One rubber piece is capped with a black PVC cap, which should slide on with a little effort and the other is capped with the gripper.

The box is attached with a compression fitting of the proper size. Slide the fitting on the end of the EMT tube then turn to tighten. Remove the lock ring, use a hole saw to drill 1.5" holes in the back of the box, slide the male portion of the fitting in the holes then anchor with the lock ring. I suggest you cut a thin piece of wood or sturdy plastic to use as a bearing surface for the lock rings.

I glued a 1" thick piece of foam to the inside of the door to hold reels in place so they don't bang against each other.

I don't know the outside dimension of the black or white plastic tubing so I don't know if they are compatible with the metal compression fitting.

If you have questions, reply to this or send PM.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Another member I have not seen on here awhile (lostfedex) had a cool one on his jeep. It was PVC and the reel case was made out of an ammo can. I think it was JB welded together and attached with hose clamps to the rack. I have been thinking of doing something similar this winter. I think I will use the electrical conduit that bucksnort used with a ammo can for the reel case.

·
Registered
171 Posts
The reel box is a plastic ammo can I purchased at Sportsman's Warehouse. It is sealed with a gasket in the lid. A metal one would give good bearing surface where it attaches to the conduit. I didn't mention this but the conduit comes in 10' sticks and is galvanized.

I thought about painting them but thought the paint would peel easily until someone told me to clean the outside, paint with a primer then paint with the color I choose. I think I will leave them the way they are.

I cut them down to 9' 4" but should have left one at 10' in case I use a 10' rod. If I can find aluminum 10' tubes, I will use those because the EMT is a bit heavy.

This is hard to see but if you look at the photo showing a close up side-view of the box, you may be able to see the EMT is resting in a Thule roof top bike carrier channel. These are the "V" shaped channels where bike tires go when transporting them on a vehicle roof. You can't use hose clamps to attach a round tube to a cross member running perpendicular to the tube and you can't run a bolt through the EMT so I found four Thule channels at a garage sale for $1 each. I bolted those to my cross members then clamped the EMT to the channels.

The idea of using the channels came to me when I was using the black PVC. I thought by mounting the PVC in the channels, they wouldn't warp but they did anyway.

A few years ago, I saw a DIY rod vault that looked cheap. I don't recall what the tubes were made of and I don't recall what the reel box was but the box was crappie looking so when I made mine, I wanted to avoid the "cheap" look. I looked around for a suitable box. The Sportsman's box is the best I found, so far. The box is green. I've considered painting it black but because my Cruiser is Army green, I will probably leave it green.

I mentioned in my first reply I attached a piece of foam to the lid by way of bolts. Be sure to use stainless steel and use large fender washers on the inside to hold it in place. Foam of the right thickness will do two things. It will prevent the rods from moving back and forth and will prevent the reels from hitting each other. I decided not to look for a way to prevent the assembled rods from rattling around in the tubes but I don't think this is a problem because it's only the guides hitting the tube.

The compression fitting is a piece of cake. You slide it onto the box end of the EMT then hold one end of it and turn the other.

I said all of my materials came from Home Depot. That's not true because I did find one of the 10' sticks of EMT at a Habitat for Humanity Re-store for $3 and the compression fittings came from there too for about .25 cents and the reel box came from Sportsman's. If you get the compression fittings from Re-store, be sure the lock ring is there too. You will find some of the lock rings have come off the fitting.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
He used two hose clamps at each intersection of tube and rack and crisscrossed them. It seemed solid enough. I wonder how that fiber fix stuff would hold up long term outside a vehicle. Might be another option for attaching the tubes if I cant find bike rack channels.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thats a neat idea with the ammo can.

Is there anyone who makes a pvc reel case? I saw one prototype on a forum somewhere else but it seems like it would be a useful item and relatively cheap.

·
Registered
171 Posts
whadleyco,

The disadvantage of this type or any other where the tip section of the rod is exposed is if you are driving on roads with heavy low vegetation, you could snag a rod and break it.

I know, paying attention to what your doing is the solution to that problem. You know, like forgetting your coffee cup is on the roof of your vehicle or like the (true story) female guide from Woodland Park in Elevenmile Canyon, about five years ago, who was in a state of panic looking for an expensive rod she left unattended on the roof of her vehicle while driving the canyon. I found out a couple of years later she found the rod.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts